Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MK2CAV.COM

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Jimmy's back in a vauxhall baby yeah!!

Featured Replies

  • CLUB MEMBER

Well after several months of a ridiculous decision to buy a fooking peugeot I now have a proper car sat outside again  ;D

Still have the pug atm but am hoping to sort that an get rid very soon especially with the fact we're waiting on a deffinate date to move into our new house :) so would like it gone by then really

Anyway before you get excited its not a mk2 cavalier but it is a mk3 cavalier sri 2.0 8v 172k on the clock pulls like a train every mot from new a mountain of receipts one of which is for the sum of almost £900 for the rear arches last year  ;D :o just waiting till end of month to tax it so get a full 6months there will be mod's happening but nothing major and I have to say it is so great to be back in a proper car again even if its a mk3 not a mk2

utf-8BSU1HMDA0MTktMjAxMTA5MDgtMTY0Ni5qcGc.jpg

JimmysSig.png

We had a K plate white 16 Valve hatch, still to this day it was probably one of the best cars we have ever had, went like a train and you could fit anything in it  :D

cav2d.jpg

It would be rude not to show the old girl  :D

  • Author
  • CLUB MEMBER

Another picture :)

utf-8BSU1HMDA0MTgtMjAxMTA5MDgtMTY0NS5qcGc.jpg

I have to say I don't know if its because its the 2.0 or if its had a CR box fitted it or even an 20seh at some point but it feels quicker than george considering george was 121bhp 1.8 an this is suppose to be heavier but have the same F16 WR box? Deffo needs different wheels I'm thinking fanblades and a -60mm drop ;D

Dazzy your a bastard :P white was my first choice!!!!!!! But this was in telford so 5min drive and cheap with history that would probably be difficult to find again

JimmysSig.png
  • Author
  • CLUB MEMBER

utf-8BSU1HMDA0MjAtMjAxMTA5MDgtMTY0Ni5qcGc.jpg

Its surprisingly clean for 172k on the clock check out these bolsters

Excuse the quality of pictures taken on my phone

utf-8BSU1HMDA0MjEtMjAxMTA5MDgtMTY0Ni5qcGc.jpg

JimmysSig.png
  • Author
  • CLUB MEMBER

cav2d.jpg

It would be rude not to show the old girl  :D

I do LIKE that daz very nice did you have it long? I'm guessing it was a valver to :P

JimmysSig.png

Good to see you back Jimmy, well done with another vaux but it really should have been a mk2 ;) ;D

I do LIKE that daz very nice did you have it long? I'm guessing it was a valver to :P

about 3 years i think, yer it was a red top  ;D

You can tell its a Redtop by the badging on the tailgate. If you compare it to Jimmy's you will see the main differences.

I have an L reg SRi with Redtop but it is badged as an 2.0 8v. No need to advertise to the 'lightfingered' that there is a no questions asked £300 motor under the bonnet.

The Mk3 is about 150Kg heavier than a Mk2, all those door bars etc, and with the engine producing not as much power as your 1.8, it can't accelerate quicker. It does have better aerodynamics and is a lot quieter tho'.

  • Author
  • CLUB MEMBER

I thought they were heavier ;) it must be a very good engine then as I swear it feels more responsive it seems to have power and acceleration there straight away or could the fact that it was stood for about 6 weeks before I bought it with battery disconnected therefore the ecu would have been in "learn mode" have a benefit?

Will the gearbox indicate on it if its a WR or CR box?

See as far as I'm aware it should be a c20ne on an f16 wr box which is 115bhp iirc ?? So if the mk2's are lighter and george was still producing 121bhp at time of me selling it surely george should be quicker!

JimmysSig.png

I got a set of cesaro wheels here :P

Nice looking cav a fairly late one too was this the one that was on pistonheads by any chance

As far as I know

CR box 100mph =5k rpm in 5th

WR 100mph = about 4200rpm in 5th

All with the correct size wheels fitted but that's on a mk2

  • Author
  • CLUB MEMBER

I got a set of cesaro wheels here :P

Can I pay by way of sexual favour's?  :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

As far as I know

CR box 100mph =5k rpm in 5th

WR 100mph = about 4200rpm in 5th

All with the correct size wheels fitted but that's on a mk2

Now there's a test I will have to perform lmao :)

JimmysSig.png

Welcome back Jimmy, nice MK3 you have mate ;)

Some pictures of the one I just had...

DSC05057.jpg

DSC05046.jpg

DSC05041.jpg

DSC05035.jpg

i thought all mk3 8v SRi's had SEH's and the mk3 CDi had the NE?

No. Up to the emissions standards change on the J/K plate there were two 'sporty' Cavaliers, the GSi and SRi. The Sri had the 20SEH and the GSi the 20XE. Then the GSi was binned and the SRi was split into two, one with the C20NE and the other the C20XE.

The other 2.0 Cavaliers  inc specials/L/LS/GLS/CD etc., apart from the Turbo, started with the 20NE and then used the C20NE.

AFAIK all SRi had the F16CR which might be why it feels quicker or different compared to the F16WR in your MK2.

  • Author
  • CLUB MEMBER

AFAIK all SRi had the F16CR which might be why it feels quicker or different compared to the F16WR in your MK2.

I had a feeling that would be the case! Yet when I asked this question on mk3cavoc.com I was told by one person that all SRi's had F16 CR box's then another person piped up saying that early mk3 SRi's had F16 CR box's on the 20SEH then the later one's when they changed it to the C20NE had F16 WR which I thought was odd! So should it have the CR box ?  ??? Also is there anything stamped on the box to tell me if its a close or wide ratio gear set?

Thanks for comments guys it needs the roof looking at either needs flatting down and polishing up or re-laquering the red trim in the bumpers has faded but intend on changing the colour so not fussed just trying to decide weather to do the same on the badges or just de-badge it! There's a scuff on the driver door mirror other than the odd mark/scratch here an there the body is really good no rust only corrosion on the underneath which isn't anything unexpected for 172k nothing that a bit of waxoil or underseal won't sort!

JimmysSig.png

The rust prone areas are slightly different on a Mk3. For a start you do not have to worry about the bulkhead/front floors or front cross member. The main areas are

- about 2 inches up on the back of the front arch splash backs

- the rear 6" of the sills

- the spring seats, like a MK2

- the area around the back of the rear arch splash backs, there is a seam here that fails and the boot floor is very vulnerable in that area

- on a late car like yours the rear arches should be OK but a good way to spray into the vulnerable are is with a lance gaining access via one of the rear door catche's bolt holes.

  • Author
  • CLUB MEMBER

Thanks for that well I know rear arches are ok as they were done last year once we have moved house and have few other things sorted out I will be going over the car cleaning and undersealing the under neath or waxoil rather a good service and a cambelt change so not to have history repeat it self lol  :o ;D ;) :-[ ::)

JimmysSig.png

It's also the 2.0's extra torque your feeling over the 1.8. It's not just about bhp!

Don't forget to clean out the 'elephant's trunk' drain tube half way up the bulkhead in the middle. Many a passenger footwell has been flooded by one of those!

Don't forget to clean out the 'elephant's trunk' drain tube half way up the bulkhead in the middle. Many a passenger footwell has been flooded by one of those!

Good point, and it takes a lot longer dry out the sound deadening foam in a mk3.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.