Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MK2CAV.COM

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

3 Calibres to restore need help

Featured Replies

Hi everyone,

I am looking to restore 3 Calibres in various states of repair. I've had 2 for a number of years and just bought another which is running.

I have finally the budget and a bit of time to do this so decided to call upon my fellow enthusiasts to make this happen with the intention of doing it properly.  I need a good panel beater who knows there cavs to start of with plus need to know who supplies the best red colour match paint as well as where I can get the stripes redone properly.

I want to do one to original spec and one to be heavily modded in terms of engine and suspension but all will look as they should. The other one will be a bit of both and am happy to take suggestions on it.

All help and hints will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Vick.

  • CLUB MEMBER

Hi vick

Welcome to the club.

Lots of members on here that will give you loads of advise. I have 5 mk2's and all at different stages of repair. Any pics and how long have you had the first two for.

Good luck

Andyf

  • Author

Hi Andy,

I've had the first 2 for over 8 years just had to store them and unfortunately had to keep them outside last 2 years hence the rot. One has really taken a hit and the other I've welded as it wasn't too bad but that needs fuel and brake lines. Also think it was mistakenly fitted with astra GTE Ecu as misfires when hot.  I will get some pics up soon to give everyone an idea.

I also have a 1.3 C reg which I picked up for the heck of it but its turned out to be fairly clean so was thinking of a re-shell for the Calibre (not my preferred option) however have been told bulk head and other bits are different.  Besides that got a 1.8LX hatch which is for spares and a Mk3 sri 8 valve which I was told was an ex police car with added power but who knows.  I bought the Mk3 with intention of using the engine in the Calibre but again that's turned out too good to break but if it has to be done then so be it.

  • CLUB MEMBER

Welcome to the club.....don't break the LXi.....is it a blue one perchance?

Current mk2 stock: 3 LXs: white c20xe, blue & red std, blue LX parts car, blue GLi, & monaro VXR

Renault 5e daily (french go kart)

  • CLUB MEMBER

Hi Greg yes its a blue one....why's that?

Some people might say that I have an LX / LXi fetish (which is true).  I am surmising that you have Kevs then Jarrolds one, check the threads on here as it has some history.  From the sounds of it, it needs a little welding love to fix.  Its your car so if its to provide parts for another mk2 its going to a good use at least.  Be a shame.....not many left thats all but I am bias ;)

Pictures of all your mk2s are needed please :angel:

Current mk2 stock: 3 LXs: white c20xe, blue & red std, blue LX parts car, blue GLi, & monaro VXR

Renault 5e daily (french go kart)

  • 2 months later...
  • Author

Hi Everyone, have started the project car is stripped and going back to metal.

I need some help to get the following panels so any help would be appreciated:

Inner and outer sills.

Spare wheel well panel

Front and rear panels

nearside 1/4 panel and inner arch.

Area around petrol filler neck is rusted.

It Begins.....

Hi Everyone, have started the project car is stripped and going back to metal.

I need some help to get the following panels so any help would be appreciated:

Inner and outer sills.

Spare wheel well panel

Front and rear panels

nearside 1/4 panel and inner arch.

Area around petrol filler neck is rusted.

It Begins.....

Any pics of the cars please mate?

That sounds like a Greg project

Where are you?

  • CLUB MEMBER

That sounds like a Greg project

Agreed.....nice.....

Vick, good luck with the resto. Pictures would help enthuse the masses to liberate some of their stratigical spares.  That or try german ebay or opel based sites out there :angel:

Current mk2 stock: 3 LXs: white c20xe, blue & red std, blue LX parts car, blue GLi, & monaro VXR

Renault 5e daily (french go kart)

  • Author

[img width=180 height=135]http://s16.postimg.org/smi644sm9/IMG_20140528_WA0001.jpg

[img width=180 height=135]http://s16.postimg.org/631brz7xd/IMG_20140528_WA0002.jpg

[img width=180 height=135]http://s16.postimg.org/ige5yvxlt/IMG_20140528_WA0003.jpg

[img width=180 height=135]http://s16.postimg.org/cpje7f081/IMG_20140528_WA0004.jpg

[img width=135 height=180]http://s16.postimg.org/w14xy0dep/IMG_20140529_WA0000.jpg

[img width=180 height=135]http://s16.postimg.org/vn3lyetb5/IMG_20140529_WA0001.jpg

[img width=180 height=135]http://s16.postimg.org/ra0h28v6p/IMG_20140529_WA0002.jpg

[img width=135 height=180]http://s16.postimg.org/iy9beqn6p/IMG_20140529_WA0003.jpg

[img width=180 height=135]http://s16.postimg.org/rj2n5wxcx/IMG_20140529_WA0004.jpg

[img width=135 height=180]http://s16.postimg.org/x5z03dzvl/IMG_20140529_WA0005.jpg

[img width=135 height=180]http://s16.postimg.org/7cz5711pd/IMG_20140529_WA0006.jpg

[img width=180 height=135]http://s16.postimg.org/vhzuoqm01/IMG_20140529_WA0007.jpg

[img width=135 height=180]http://s16.postimg.org/qkma3mk0x/IMG_20140529_WA0008.jpg

[img width=180 height=135]http://s16.postimg.org/fz705d335/IMG_20140529_WA0009.jpg

[img width=135 height=180]http://s16.postimg.org/rpkxmqvvl/IMG_20140529_WA0010.jpg

[img width=135 height=180]http://s16.postimg.org/77zzb3js1/IMG_20140529_WA0011.jpg

[img width=180 height=135]http://s16.postimg.org/ozblpjz6p/IMG_20140529_WA0012.jpg

[img width=180 height=135]http://s16.postimg.org/x29s0vjs1/IMG_20140529_WA0013.jpg

[img width=135 height=180]http://s16.postimg.org/t9q9l549t/IMG_20140529_WA0014.jpg

[img width=180 height=135]http://s16.postimg.org/tb07ek63l/IMG_20140529_WA0015.jpg

  • Author

Hi Thanks everyone for your help!

In answer to a few questions and requests have uploaded a few pics....am a bit new to this so bare with.

I'm based in Hayes NW London GregDJ.

Thanks to Sharkysam for the links have put in offers so lets see if he accepts!

As you can see E737AGC has seen better days!!!

However the decision to bring this one back from the grave....(and I mean grave!) has been a long and thought out process.  It basically boils down to keeping an original Calibre back on the road and making sure its done properly so it can be enjoyed for years to come. 

Better stop before I get emotional  :(

So lets get on with it...at the moment we have stripped it further and have a genius with metal called Karl doing the work to make her solid....anything that can't be got will be fabricated to match original.

I will get some more pics up later so keep you're eyes open for anything you think we may need...the original the better.

Thanks again to everyone

ouch ,that reminds me of my white cabby  :( :(    ,but it can be done

  • Author

Hi Stevemc,

Yes I know this aint for the faint hearted but its gotta be done.....this one is the worst one thank God so am starting with it first as this is where most of the budget will go !

i had a white cabby ,only needed inner sill repair ,2 years of welding and uncovering more and more rust i gave up in the end  :( :( ,but i dont have a garage only a cold wet driveway  :(  ,the handy thing is most of panels are available nowdays

  • Author

Sounds like a nightmare especially doing it outside!

I'm still having problems getting the rear panel and lower valance and also the inner sills.

Have contacted Copeparts and a few other places so waiting to hear from them.

i had a white cabby ,only needed inner sill repair ,2 years of welding and uncovering more and more rust i gave up in the end  :( :( ,but i dont have a garage only a cold wet driveway  :(  ,the handy thing is most of panels are available nowdays

Kind of why mine has sat for so long, I dont have much to weld but its time and place to do it thats stuffs me....one day :angel:

Fair play its good to see you saving it

  • CLUB MEMBER

This looks like a proper project....my white LX was of similar corrosional issues when I started it in 2007....still not complete :-X (q the grief)

Feel free to delve into the Gregs LX project thread for help and inspiration.

Good luck with it, and never give up......even when something else falls off or is worse than expected :angel:

Current mk2 stock: 3 LXs: white c20xe, blue & red std, blue LX parts car, blue GLi, & monaro VXR

Renault 5e daily (french go kart)

  • Author

Thanks Greg now that I've started it I can't believe I was gonna let it go!

Almost feels as if the car is urging me on now its getting a second chance. (I know how that sounds but that's just how it is even the whole team doing the job can't wait to get in, in the morning, to get started)

My guy has done a terrific job of getting all the rot out and welding in some thick gauge metal where it needs it. (Hopefully get some pics up soon)

Also got a lot of original bits and some from Klokkerholm which have the SRI panels so should fit well.

Will check out that thread need all the help I can get! (Have you got a link to it?)

Looking forward to seeing progress on this project mate and well done for saving it  ;)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.