Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MK2CAV.COM

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

What shall I do with my 30k mile CDi

Featured Replies

Hi All

I have a drive full of Cavaliers including 4 Mk2s. One of them is a Mk2 CDi auto 87E with a genuine 31k miles on it.

I bought it on ebay in May in a pretty cruddy state. It had spent 2 years without moving on a drive under a hedge in N. London. It was bought new by a 70 year old guy, who I think never drove it outside NW London or fast (no stone marks on screen/headlight glass or paint). Fully serviced with flush/oil/filter air! and oil every year, plugs every 2 years! and other parts as needed (I have the bills). Back seat looks unsat in and the velour is unmarked, boot carpet is marked. Wheels have lost their lacquer. I don't think it has been on many salty roads as, apart from a few surface rust spots there is no corrosion anywhere.

Then when he was 88 he bought a new car and gave the Cav to a niece in law but it was too big for her so she did 70 miles and then left it on the drive until I bought it and towed it back to MK. I have now sorted all the mechanical/body problems and it is in very good condition tested and taxed for 12 months.

It is not totally mint as it has had a couple of panels repainted with a very good match (steel grey).

It is the first top spec facelift low mileage Cav I have seen as most seem to be base or L 1.6s pre facelift.

The trouble is that I don't enjoy driving it!  :( I prefer my Sri130. ;D Now I don't know what to do as it seems such a waste to just leave it on the drive, almost unused.

With a virtually new bodyshell it would make a great sleeper with an XE but it seems almost criminal to destroy what could be a unique bit of Cavalier heritage.

What do I do?

Well you have to save it no matter what, manual box, avoid xe, 2 common, v6 would be a nice move but a bit more hastle. Or why not go for an 8V turbo kit with 6 speed box.

If your going to alter it, dont just make it like all the others, make it unique.

Well you have to save it no matter what, manual box, avoid xe, 2 common, v6 would be a nice move but a bit more hastle. Or why not go for an 8V turbo kit with 6 speed box.

If your going to alter it, dont just make it like all the others, make it unique.

If I did alter it it would probably be to an SEH/F28. The SEH has enough power for FWD but could do with 'longer legs'.

I think it will have to stay standard tho'

having owned a relatively low milage (80K) CDi auto and regretting selling it, I'd say KEEP it STANDARD and Get it like Dazzes 130 - Sparkly NEW.

  • CLUB MEMBER

Sparkley new as pod says would make it feel "special" but buying new shocks and springs from an SRi would make it feel more familular. Also put some bigger wheels on it, perhaps the 15" mk3 cav wheels. It would look standard but give you a more stable roadholding.

Just af ew ideas, but you don't really say what you dont enjoy. Defo dont modify the trim level, you will never get round to putting it back.

Sparkley new as pod says would make it feel "special" but buying new shocks and springs from an SRi would make it feel more familular. Also put some bigger wheels on it, perhaps the 15" mk3 cav wheels. It would look standard but give you a more stable roadholding.

Just af ew ideas, but you don't really say what you dont enjoy. Defo dont modify the trim level, you will never get round to putting it back.

Yes, it does 'wallow' a bit, especially compared with a rock hard 130. Agree with the wheels, just put 15'' 6 spoke Cesaros on the 130 and it looks stunning, made for them.

Wouldn't touch the trim.

Don't enjoy the auto. The Mk3 auto is sooooo much better.

If I did alter it it would probably be to an SEH/F28. The SEH has enough power for FWD but could do with 'longer legs'.

I think it will have to stay standard tho'

Why an F28 on to an SEH, are you going to 4WD it ???

If your looking for more top end get a box from a 2.0 CD or GLSI  these are all wide ratio boxes ;)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.