January 28, 200620 yr comment_28105 Hi AllJust joined. Very nice site you have!Now I don't have a Cav mk2 but an Astra. However I like to modify 2L OHC engines and this is what my Astra has (turbo).I originally came here in search of parts, however I may be of use if anyone wants any info on turbocharging these engines including info on the real turbo version in the states, the C20GET. I have some J body info too which may be of use (Sunbird).If anyone has an interest in the the US version of the Cav let me know and I'll see what I can do!Cheers Report
January 28, 200620 yr comment_28112 Hi m8, welcome to the club, would be interested in your engine mods, any pictures and details would be good. The GET engine is an interesting concept, know of someone else interested in it. Report
January 28, 200620 yr comment_28119 Welcome along. What is the GET conversation mate is this taken from the LET engine? Supply as much information as possible and pictures. Cheers mate Report
January 28, 200620 yr comment_28147 Yes the C20GET is a nice little engine, shame we did not get in the Cavalier over here! I originally imported the intake, valve cover, exhaust manifold and pistons over for my 2.0L. Heres a pic of the engine in a Sunbird;And a couple of pics of the engine itself...The engine above is the 2.0L version. There was an earlier 1.8 version introduced in 1984. Both types were quite sophisticated as they had boost control and knock control too. GM also experimented with ceramic turbines on them. Heres a couple of pics of the 1.8 (C18GET) engine parts.Note the bolt in injectors just like the 18E manifold!I originally had mine with a T25 and SDS stand alone injection system. I swapped the T25 for one of Matheus428's T3 turbo manifolds and external wastegate. The car and engine are apart now. The engine is being rebuilt with a B+ head and new cam, valvesprings, followers, etc. The turbo is being upgraded to a 60 trim (supports 300-340hp). I'm undecided on the intake... the stock TB gets restrictive at 200+hp as it's only 46mm diameter. I've swapped it for a 52mm TB from a Pontiac Fiero but I may swap that for a normal 2.0L intake - I've been looking at the Lexmaul ones too but they're expensive. The car is getting the engine bay repainted, rebuilt suspension legs and cast aluminium control arms. Here's a pic with the engine in bits...I've got quite a bit of info on these engines, lots of pictures, a service manual, owners manual, magazine articles, etc. Report
January 29, 200620 yr comment_28202 Andy will be drooling by this point He's not the only one lol.. Report
January 29, 200620 yr CLUB MEMBER comment_28208 mines gets almost finished... Cam is back, and externals. And crating, then shipping ;Done day.... Report
January 31, 200620 yr comment_28331 Nice! Glad someone else has an interest in these engines There was a complete, but no MOT, turbo sunbird for sale on ebay late last year. Would make a great donor if it was tracked down. It belonged to some american import place I think.Well if theres anything you want to know just ask! Report
January 31, 200620 yr comment_28336 Bonjour, seen a few of your pics on MIG 8)What sort of power are they running the GET's at in America? Also, how much does the GET head differ from a SEH head? I've read that it was 'designed to give maximum performance on a turbo engine' (Think it was in a writeup I found on Google), but I can't see that there's any major/worthwhile changes - How many people are running 18E heads on them if any? Report
January 31, 200620 yr comment_28354 I have a friend thats pushing near 350hp at well over 20psi. The engines will make 200hp at 10-12psi on a stock engine with an intercooler. 14-16psi will give ~240hp. At that point the map sensor will need swapping and the ECU re-mapped (easy to do - software is available in the states). The stock TB gets a bit restrictive at that point also.There are two types of 2.0L head in the US. Both have high-port inlets but the earlier head (up to '90 iirc) has a closed, kidney shaped chamber. The later 2.0L heads have the familier D-shaped open chamber that we have. There is an EGR port between inlets 2 and 3 on all 2.0L heads. The ports are the same as ours but I do not know if the valves are different sizes or materials for the turbo version. I would like to import a early GET head but shipping is expensive. The cam is different on the turbo engines also, I do have some details on this.No one I know of has used the earlier 18E type head on a 2.0L block. The C18GET was used before the 2.0L was introduced in the Pontiac Sunbird and the Buick Skyhawk. Both these cars were based on the Mk2 cav platform and look very similar to the cav. Later Sunbirds look a lot different. When the 2.0L was going to be introduced it was intended to use a larger turbine housing and also an intercooler. These would of been capable of 200hp with just a few tweeks. These plans were shelved however. There were also some C20XEs that made it to the US and used in some prototype Pontiac vehicles but they never made it to production. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.