Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MK2CAV.COM

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

andy

CLUB ADMIN
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by andy

  1. andy replied to retrotony87's topic in CLUB EVENTS
    Sorry not sorry for the MK2CAV.COM anthem in the background! Thank you for your understanding on the production value! Given they came around thinking we were up to no good (someone always reports MK2 for something - I'm sure we burnt a bridge somewhere - so not sure if I could get away with one of our toy drones doing some 4k cinematics at low level! - but I'm game!) Also I realised the clip of my shakedown drive to Greg's 5 years ago was on the cutting room floor. I'll get that uploaded again too.
  2. andy replied to retrotony87's topic in CLUB EVENTS
    I have aquick video of the weekend, that I've been fighting my phone to edit while in poland. Will try to get it downloaded and then on the YT channel and hotlinked here. It kept crashing when trying to render it, but managed to get a render of a previous draft - so it's a bit rougher than of previous years. Next year however... will be different!
  3. andy replied to retrotony87's topic in CLUB EVENTS
    Wait, what?! Did I leave before the estate arrived?! Amazing! I'll get a few clips together tonight hopefully!
  4. andy replied to newbody's topic in CLUB EVENTS
    Woop. Thanks for uploading Tony. I will be there, the Jet lag is wearing off finally!
  5. andy replied to Sh1tburd's topic in NEW USERS
    Hi Aaron, this was a great first post! I think your collection (past and present) looks pretty awesome, and we've always supported the whole GM J-CAR / J-Body movement, so you're very welcome. As well as a Chevrolet Monza shell (the 2 door hatch the UK never got but looks like your Pontiac 2000 coupe) I have a 3.0L X30XE Ascona C and the yellow cavalier I inherited from my mum when she died when I was 10. For the yellow cav (1982) - I have had (but never installed) - an LT3 / C20GET upgraded to 250bhp WHP, for which I had all the ancillaries new (i.e. belts, plugs etc.. all the usual - but that was in 2004/5 so they are probably knackered now - so I may need your help once I've moved back to the UK sourcing some more and got my projects going again once we're settled). I also always wanted to import a certain engine from the US so being attached to the states may be dangerous for you if you stay around here! Seriously though - I felt the Sunbird etc. did better in Canada or we better received than in the the states - but I'd love to hear what you think! Similarly - I used to go on your old forum a lot back in the day. I'm happy you still have things going. Very happy to link up to resources etc.. and do some cross promotion as we get this site updated and move the club forward. I think you have an advantage supporting all the different variants - that's a pivot we've yet to make, mainly because the MK2 was always the underdog here. The car that saved Vauxhall/Opel in the 80s (due to a much more positive reception!) - but always maligned. Anyway, you are very very welcome! Now.. please tell me where I can buy the "pontiac nose" for a J2000 for a MK2... and then we can discuss the differences between the successful Chevrolet Monza in Brasil vs. the Sunbird Turbo from 84! Anyway, you're very very welcome mate! PS PS: This isn't mine. Mine is a shell. I can only hope to have one like this one day ;)
  6. andy posted a blog entry in The RedTop
    After 3.5+ years living over 5000 miles away, we’re finally coming home to the UK. And that means becoming active with MK2CAV.COM properly again. Somehow, our weird little website started back in 1998 is STILL alive. Which honestly feels slightly miraculous considering the modern internet now mainly consists of doomscrolling, AI slop cat ninjas, ragebait and “what wheels fit?” posted 140 times a day by people who apparently fear the search function more than terminal rust. Comparatively - MK2CAV.COM may be ancient, but it matters. Today, socials posts vanish with the swipe of a thumb and are forgotten 2 minutes later, while old forum threads from 2004 are STILL helping people keep these cars alive today. Somewhere on the forum there are still 17-page arguments on Weber conversions vs original Varajet carbs that remain more useful than 99% of modern social media. And honestly… our archive of human experience (and even joy) matters of now more than ever. Because MK2CAV.COM was never just a website, classifieds page, or somewhere to argue about wheel offset and dashboard rattles It became: an archive and wealth of technical knowhow. a place that documented restorations and saved cars a social club and occasionally group therapy for people emotionally attached to rusty 1980s Vauxhalls But equally, the reality is our previous club and hosting setup simply is not sustainable long-term given membership numbers and general cost-of-living madness. So over the coming months we’ll be: reviewing forum and club operations looking at the future role of the website preserving our archives properly modernising and streamlining further rethinking merch, stickers and perks and moving more strongly towards preserving a whole bygone era of motoring Importantly: That does NOT mean deleting the forum or abandoning what made the club special. Quite the opposite. The goal is to preserve 20+ years of history, guides, photos, technical resources and friendships properly while also making the club feel alive again. Because while Facebook groups can absolutely continue doing their thing, I still believe there’s still room for something deeper for those who want more meaningful engagement: road trips restorations technical writeups random roadside and barn-find saves retro reminiscing and the strange things that only seem to happen when you own an 80s Vauxhall The internet changed. Forums died. Photobucket murdered half our old build threads. Social media replaced conversations with algorithms. And now half the internet appears to be mainly bots stirring up hatred while AI-generated memes lull us into a collective stupor. Yet somehow this place still survives, and it reminds me of happier more outgoing times, before social media made us all feel "too busy". Like our cavs, the club site is a bit rusty. Occasionally broken. Held together largely by stubbornness and irrational optimism (also like our cavs). So, one thing I’ve also realised recently is that the club was always strongest when it had its own content and media personality, not just FB scrolling pictures of cavs in fields. So I’ve started creating retro-themed club artwork and posters for paid members inspired by: 1980s / GM culture old VHS action films dealer graphics and tax discs period brochures retro magazines motorway service stations at 2am and general nostalgic nonsense If you’re a paid-up member, PM me on MK2CAV.COM to request: personalised avatars / retro poster magazine cover / pop-culture parody scenes and other club-style artwork featuring your Cav (Completely unique and free for you to use on social media, clothing, garages, banners or wherever else you wish to proudly display your questionable life choices and Cavalier-flavoured love of 1980s motoring). Subject of course to my time and availability while relocating half my life back across the planet* Also… IMPORTANT! Our annual VBOA Sywell weekend is nearly upon us. So if you want to attend with the club, check the forum events section and get involved. I’m genuinely chuffed that all the club admins (even me!) should be there this year. Let’s see who else still has enough unburnt petrol fumes and irrational optimism left in them to make the trip. (Mk1, Mk2, Mk3 Cav or no Cav at all - you’re always welcome.) And finally: thank you to YOU for sticking around. At present there are at least five MK2 Cavalier Facebook groups doing similar things. And honestly, that’s absolutely fine. Some were even founded by old members from this site. In a world increasingly lacking shared pursuits and common interests, I genuinely think the more the merrier. But we are now: 27 years for the club. 45 years for the Mk2 Cavalier itself. And somehow it’s now only 5 years until the Mk2 turns 50, which is frankly terrifying. Still… that feels like enough time to keep the life-support machine pumping a little longer. Forums are supposedly dead. Small car clubs are supposedly dead. And AI bots, dead internet theory and endless scrolling are making even good Facebook groups increasingly disposable. But MK2CAV.COM was never really about the cars. It was about preserving a strange little slice of the 1980s and the friendships that came about from our quirky obsession. So somehow, nearly 30 years later… we’re still here. Still trying to keep these rusty old boxes on the road. And honestly? We’re going to have a bloody good time doing so for the next few years. Everyone is invited. Andy c/o MK2CAV.COM
  7. andy replied to newbody's topic in CLUB EVENTS
    @Greg Best start copy and pasting your names to the list and one of the admins will keep the global post updated!
  8. Happy to see the old girl getting out and about. Can't beat a rolling project!
  9. Thanks Mark! I really need to re-do that document for the 21st century 😄
  10. @blackmk2cav's Probably sat somewhere in darkest somerset and still runs! But Paul would tell you what it's like in the metal! I think I made a video of it when it was first on the road (similar to that era). Will dig it out.
  11. andy replied to Lefty's topic in NEW USERS
    Will sound good at WOT! I see she's Luton built. Best make sure the rear chassis legs are protected for the long term! Good to see the progress.
  12. Hi Jay, Agree with Grey DJ here - this should be fine for DVLA. But as you've posted here as well as emailed, I'll answer here without giving your VIN away. Your Cavalier in Oz was built in Antwerp 1 and is a 1985 B reg mid spec cavalier. If DVLA won't suck it up I am happy to provide a dating letter to this effect based on the VIN. Cheers. Andy
  13. If this is going to be a series - please update regularly! Looking forward to the adventure. Kudos for starting a blog!
  14. Whooop! The legend returns! Great to hear you're back in the fold. Be good to catch up soon. How long has it been now? 10 years?!
  15. andy replied to w0z26's topic in NEW USERS
    Blast from the past! Welcome back. Been a long time.
  16. I have a feeling this is a cav I saved from a garage with Kev back in 2006/7/8 era. The number plate is sitting with me. Where was the car from originally? Great you have this one saved!
  17. Hi John, I wanted to take a moment to express our collective gratitude to GreyDJ for his incredible dedication and service as our club rep for mk2cav.com over the past 15 years. John, you've been our interface to the VBOA, handling countless issues with patience and ensuring we always had a good presence at the stands and fought for us to have a good plot. It's through your resilience we have outlasted so many clubs that dwarfed us previously. Your commitment, even through COVID was impossible to ignore and it's was incredible how you managed to maintain your role with such dedication despite significant life events behind the scenes. Your welcoming presence at the stand each year of Billing/Market Harborough / Sywell helped create many lasting memories and friendships. So while your transition from MK2 ownership is bittersweet, we're thrilled you’ll still be part of the club with your MK3 on stand in future. Your knowledge and advice have been invaluable, and you'll always have a place here. I also want to thank you and the other admins for making allowances for me while I find myself working abroad these past 18 months. All this year, you have stepped up to reinvigorate our little corner of the internet, ensuring our community stays vibrant and active. When I return, I’ll be organising some more road trips, continuing to shake things up with the admins, and John, you will always be very welcome to join anything we do. As Tony steps into your role, we are confident he will carry on with the same passion and dedication. Tony, we're excited for your fresh ideas and guidance to help our club continue evolving and thriving. John - in recognition of your exceptional service, we are honored to grant you the title of "Honorary Lifetime Member" of MK2CAV.COM. This is a small token of our appreciation for everything you have done for the club, and we will be in touch about some merch from the online store. Thank you for everything, John. Here’s to all the wonderful memories and to many more to come. Sincerely, Andy P.S. John has always represented us in the best light to the VBOA and site visitors, whether through technical advice on the forum or at events. His detailed posts, such as identifying mid-spec Cavaliers from factory shutdown periods and sharing maintenance tips, have been a testament to his expertise and passion for the community. I hope it continues for many years.
  18. He had his HG done probably 2016, be interesting to see what it is! Enjoy the event all, gutted I can't attend this one due to being overseas at present.
  19. Hi all, looking for a tent spot for Friday night, or confirmation I can kip in the car in the guest car park as will have to go on Saturday lunch and don't want some scruffy octavia leaving the stand in shame Context: I've got a 14 hour flight back to the UK a bit before - so access / prep time is limited for me this year.
  20. Probably up there with CDi saloon rear chrome trip for the rear lights, or early CDI door cards (with the satchells pockets)!
  21. Hi Brian - alternatively email me and I'll add them. You should be able to click "choose files" below on PC< or even just drag onto a reply window. Will have another look later!
  22. Welcome! Welcome! You know someone would ask right... Could we have some shots of the interior... 😄😄
  23. Depending on SWMBO / weather / the boy I might take a mosey up to catch up!
  24. So gutted to have missed this year chaps. Can you believe this variant still has me testing positive on day 10 - even though I don't have any symptoms!! Did anyone take any video, if so don't forget the site supports it - and also YouTube videos linked across. I think cost of living and Covid is what kept the numbers down, so my massive thanks and gratitude to John for the organisation and all who attended, while others sat on the side-lines!

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.