April 1, 20188 yr Author comment_216986 I see what you mean Greg dj2 , the mot guy seems to think it's not to bad on the outside. But will be looking into it further.. Report
April 2, 20188 yr comment_216989 The MOT guy is looking at it from a different perspective to you. He is really only looking for dangerously bad corrosion around suspension mounting points. Your horizon is much wider, plus you are interested in the the future i.e. stopping further degradation, he isn't. Report
April 2, 20188 yr Author comment_216991 Good point, I've had the welder to look at other footwell and he said it's solid but still the jobs keep mounting up. Lol.. Report
April 2, 20188 yr comment_216993 Putting a grinder with a wirebrush in it or just a poke around with a screwdrive can reveal all kinds of nasties. That little rust spot may be the tip of an iceberg. Report
April 4, 20188 yr Author comment_217013 Woke up this morning to find puddles in both my footwells , have been checking the usual places ie winscreen door seals scuttle drains it they seem ok, i'm wondering if it could be the sunroof drainage as there was a little bit of water on the A post, has anybody come across this before help and advice needed please.. Report
April 4, 20188 yr comment_217014 not had mine to bits for a while, how are the heater motors sealed on these cars......... Report
April 4, 20188 yr CLUB MEMBER comment_217015 Even when my 130s scuttle drain rubbers were bunged up the motor didn't leak into the cabin, but I guess all are different! There should be a pretty good deal on the lock of rubber the motor sits on. The sunroof should drain into the rear quarters, unless for some strange reason pipes were disconnected? Water in footwell maybe a windscreen rubber? Report
April 4, 20188 yr Author comment_217016 45 minutes ago, andy said: Even when my 130s scuttle drain rubbers were bunged up the motor didn't leak into the cabin, but I guess all are different! There should be a pretty good deal on the lock of rubber the motor sits on. The sunroof should drain into the rear quarters, unless for some strange reason pipes were disconnected? Water in footwell maybe a windscreen rubber? Have checked sunroof drainage and mine had 4 drainage points, one in each corner. Have wondered if drain pipes have detached or leak. The screen rubber looks to be sound. Report
April 4, 20188 yr comment_217017 drop the interior light and visor, and the lining carefully, you'll get an idea if the roofs leaking from its front drains Report
April 4, 20188 yr Author comment_217018 41 minutes ago, vxcalibre said: drop the interior light and visor, and the lining carefully, you'll get an idea if the roofs leaking from its front drains I've checked the head lining and that's dry, have been contemplating taking the dash out and checking the bulkhead before I do anymore to the Interior. Report
April 4, 20188 yr CLUB MEMBER comment_217024 If your dash is snug to the screen rubber, leave dash in, you'll never get it as back under the rubber as factory! Close, but never the same... Report
April 4, 20188 yr Author comment_217027 3 hours ago, andy said: If your dash is snug to the screen rubber, leave dash in, you'll never get it as back under the rubber as factory! Close, but never the same... I think the dash has been out before as there's a gap between that and the screen and the edge of it is beginning to separate, I've a horrible feeling that the screens got to come out and be resealed. Report
April 4, 20188 yr comment_217028 1 hour ago, Kelvin berry said: here's a gap between that and the screen and the edge of it is beginning to separate, ive got the same problem, a bracket spotwelded for the dash has partly come away behind the clocks. its on my to do list have an assistant with a hose outside, douse the roof +screen etc while you hunt the leak....... Report
April 4, 20188 yr Author comment_217029 44 minutes ago, vxcalibre said: ive got the same problem, a bracket spotwelded for the dash has partly come away behind the clocks. its on my to do list have an assistant with a hose outside, douse the roof +screen etc while you hunt the leak....... I'l try anything to find out where it' getting in. Report
April 4, 20188 yr comment_217031 When I had my chevette & found water in the footwells. I found later that the water was getting in via the bottom corners of the windscreen due to rust holes. I fibreglassed them up to stop the water getting in, so the inside could dry out. Later that summer I had plates welded in where the fibreglass was. Report
April 4, 20188 yr comment_217038 Sprinkle some talc around so you can see from the water trail across it the direction of flow. Report
April 5, 20188 yr CLUB MEMBER comment_217047 14 hours ago, GreyDJ2 said: Sprinkle some talc around so you can see from the water trail across it the direction of flow. Great idea John W Current mk2 stock: 3 LXs: white c20xe, blue & red std, blue LX parts car, blue GLi, & monaro VXR Renault 5e daily (french go kart) Report
April 5, 20188 yr CLUB MEMBER comment_217048 Ironically Kelvin, the rust holes in the footwells let this water out, so welding them up shows the issue. Current mk2 stock: 3 LXs: white c20xe, blue & red std, blue LX parts car, blue GLi, & monaro VXR Renault 5e daily (french go kart) Report
April 7, 20188 yr Author comment_217064 On 04/04/2018 at 19:34, vxcalibre said: ive got the same problem, a bracket spotwelded for the dash has partly come away behind the clocks. its on my to do list have an assistant with a hose outside, douse the roof +screen etc while you hunt the On 05/04/2018 at 12:44, Greg said: Ironically Kelvin, the rust holes in the footwells let this water out, so welding them up shows the issue. Just had the sills and arches turn up, the arches are ok but the sills are for a 4 door now I'm wondering if they will fit or not.. Report
April 7, 20188 yr comment_217068 as far as I know, they will be the same on all except 2 door........ Report
April 7, 20188 yr Author comment_217069 20 minutes ago, vxcalibre said: as far as I know, they will be the same on all except 2 door........ Thanks I'll have to have a look see if I can get them to sit properly. . Report
April 9, 20188 yr Author comment_217111 I've got a week off work soon and I'm gonna be spending the time on my car getting some jobs done at last.. Report
April 9, 20188 yr CLUB MEMBER comment_217118 1 hour ago, Kelvin berry said: I've got a week off work soon and I'm gonna be spending the time on my car getting some jobs done at last.. Perfect.....get the pics up and we will try to assist where needed. Current mk2 stock: 3 LXs: white c20xe, blue & red std, blue LX parts car, blue GLi, & monaro VXR Renault 5e daily (french go kart) Report
April 9, 20188 yr Author comment_217119 7 minutes ago, Greg said: Perfect.....get the pics up and we will try to assist where needed. Gotta strip the dash out to find a leak, hope it's not the screen. Pics to follow... Report
April 26, 20188 yr Author comment_217222 Best laid plans and all that, what with one thing and another I've not had time to look at my car, to say I'm not happy is an understatement, I've ordered parts for it which didn't turn up when expected, been unwell , and rain put a stop to it as well, it's my wife's birthday tomorrow and I'm spending time with her, so fingers crossed for good weather on Saturday and the parts to actually do some work on it. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.