Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MK2CAV.COM

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Hatchback

Featured Replies

  • Author

I see what you mean Greg dj2 , the mot guy seems to think it's not to bad on the outside. But will be looking into it further..

  • Replies 139
  • Views 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Kelvin berry
    Kelvin berry

    Spent the day sourcing parts for my new cavalier,  found a new wing off ebay, sills and arches from a place in malvern, and arranged to get her collected for next weekend. Feeling really excited

  • Lol.....thanks....any mk2 love is appreciated on here.  Good luck with it Kelvin

  • 2nd, 3rd, 4th opinion time, but as has been said, gotta find someone that likes / loves them! If you don't need the car anytime soon, there are some top guys in Scotland! (only half joking!)

Posted Images

The MOT guy is looking at it from a different perspective to you. He is really only looking for dangerously bad corrosion around suspension mounting points. Your horizon is much wider, plus you are interested in the the future i.e. stopping further degradation, he isn't.

  • Author

Good point, I've had the welder to look at other footwell and he said it's solid but still the jobs keep mounting up. Lol..

  • Author

Woke up this morning to find puddles in both my footwells , have been checking the usual places ie winscreen door seals scuttle drains  it they seem ok,  i'm wondering if it could be the sunroof drainage as there was a little bit of water on the A post, has anybody come across this before help and advice needed please..

 not had mine to bits for a while, how are the heater motors sealed on these cars.........

  • CLUB MEMBER

Even when my 130s scuttle drain rubbers were bunged up the motor didn't leak into the cabin, but I guess all are different! There should be a pretty good deal on the lock of rubber the motor sits on.

The sunroof should drain into the rear quarters, unless for some strange reason pipes were disconnected?

Water in footwell maybe a windscreen rubber?

  • Author
45 minutes ago, andy said:

Even when my 130s scuttle drain rubbers were bunged up the motor didn't leak into the cabin, but I guess all are different! There should be a pretty good deal on the lock of rubber the motor sits on.

The sunroof should drain into the rear quarters, unless for some strange reason pipes were disconnected?

Water in footwell maybe a windscreen rubber?

Have checked sunroof drainage and mine had 4 drainage points, one in each corner. Have wondered if drain pipes have detached or leak.

The screen rubber looks to be sound. 

drop the interior light and visor, and the lining carefully, you'll get an idea if the roofs leaking from its front drains

  • Author
41 minutes ago, vxcalibre said:

drop the interior light and visor, and the lining carefully, you'll get an idea if the roofs leaking from its front drains

I've checked the head lining and that's dry, have been contemplating taking the dash out and checking the bulkhead  before I do anymore to the Interior. 

  • Author
3 hours ago, andy said:

If your dash is snug to the screen rubber, leave dash in, you'll never get it as back under the rubber as factory! Close, but never the same...

I think the dash has been out before as there's a gap between that and the screen and the edge of it is beginning to separate, I've a horrible feeling that the screens got to come out and be resealed.

1 hour ago, Kelvin berry said:

here's a gap between that and the screen and the edge of it is beginning to separate,

ive got the same problem, a bracket spotwelded for the dash has partly come away behind the clocks. its on my to do list

 

have an assistant with a hose outside,  douse the roof +screen etc while you hunt the leak.......

  • Author
44 minutes ago, vxcalibre said:

ive got the same problem, a bracket spotwelded for the dash has partly come away behind the clocks. its on my to do list

 

have an assistant with a hose outside,  douse the roof +screen etc while you hunt the leak.......

I'l try anything to find out where it' getting in.

When I had my chevette & found water in the footwells. I found later that the water was getting in via the bottom corners of the windscreen due to rust holes. I fibreglassed them up to stop the water getting in, so the inside could dry out. Later that summer I had plates welded in where the fibreglass was.

  • CLUB MEMBER
14 hours ago, GreyDJ2 said:

Sprinkle some talc around so you can see from the water trail across it the direction of flow.

Great idea John W

Current mk2 stock: 3 LXs: white c20xe, blue & red std, blue LX parts car, blue GLi, & monaro VXR

Renault 5e daily (french go kart)

  • CLUB MEMBER

Ironically Kelvin, the rust holes in the footwells let this water out, so welding them up shows the issue.

Current mk2 stock: 3 LXs: white c20xe, blue & red std, blue LX parts car, blue GLi, & monaro VXR

Renault 5e daily (french go kart)

  • Author
On 04/04/2018 at 19:34, vxcalibre said:

ive got the same problem, a bracket spotwelded for the dash has partly come away behind the clocks. its on my to do list

 

have an assistant with a hose outside,  douse the roof +screen etc while you hunt the 

On 05/04/2018 at 12:44, Greg said:

Ironically Kelvin, the rust holes in the footwells let this water out, so welding them up shows the issue.

Just had the sills and arches turn up, the arches are ok but the sills are for a 4 door now I'm wondering if they will fit or not..

as far as I know, they will be the same on all except 2 door........

  • Author
20 minutes ago, vxcalibre said:

as far as I know, they will be the same on all except 2 door........

Thanks I'll  have to have a look see if I can get them to sit properly. .

  • Author

I've got a week off work soon and I'm gonna be spending the time on my car getting some jobs done at last..

  • CLUB MEMBER
1 hour ago, Kelvin berry said:

I've got a week off work soon and I'm gonna be spending the time on my car getting some jobs done at last..

Perfect.....get the pics up and we will try to assist where needed.

Current mk2 stock: 3 LXs: white c20xe, blue & red std, blue LX parts car, blue GLi, & monaro VXR

Renault 5e daily (french go kart)

  • Author
7 minutes ago, Greg said:

Perfect.....get the pics up and we will try to assist where needed.

Gotta strip the dash out to find a leak, hope it's not the screen.

Pics to follow...

  • 3 weeks later...
  • Author

Best laid plans and all that,  what with one thing and another I've not had time to look at my car,  to say I'm not happy is an understatement,  I've ordered parts for it which didn't turn up when expected,  been unwell , and rain put a stop to it as well, it's my wife's birthday tomorrow and I'm spending time with her, so fingers crossed for good weather on Saturday and the parts to actually do some work on it. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.