November 8, 20178 yr comment_216248 The long term answer is one you have already come to, learning to weld, I have looked at a course down here to learn as always a handy skill to have especially with mk2 ownership Report
November 8, 20178 yr Author comment_216250 Definitely learning to weld but I would like to have someone do the floor for me. Report
November 8, 20178 yr Author comment_216251 Onto my last chance for a welder, if he doesn' do it I'll be doing it all myself , it' just going to have to be done at a later date that' all.. Report
November 8, 20178 yr CLUB MEMBER comment_216257 On 06/11/2017 at 19:51, Kelvin berry said: I actually had a quote for the welding today £2000, yes 2 thousand Madness.....maybe my dad needs to go back to welding up cars if that's the charge now. Hell maybe I should. Good luck with it Kelvin Current mk2 stock: 3 LXs: white c20xe, blue & red std, blue LX parts car, blue GLi, & monaro VXR Renault 5e daily (french go kart) Report
November 8, 20178 yr Author comment_216259 44 minutes ago, Greg said: Madness.....maybe my dad needs to go back to welding up cars if that's the charge now. Hell maybe I should. Good luck with it Kelvin I've got one more guy to see about the welding, if all fails I'm goin back to school to learn , you can always practice on my motor Greg . Report
November 8, 20178 yr CLUB MEMBER comment_216262 Lol......I had plenty of practice on my white LX, but thanks for the offer Current mk2 stock: 3 LXs: white c20xe, blue & red std, blue LX parts car, blue GLi, & monaro VXR Renault 5e daily (french go kart) Report
November 8, 20178 yr Author comment_216263 49 minutes ago, Greg said: Lol......I had plenty of practice on my white LX, but thanks for the offer You can tell me where not to go wrong then .. Report
November 9, 20178 yr CLUB MEMBER comment_216274 Welding is all in the preparation. Which means its hard on these old rusty cars as you find the affected area is bigger than it first looks (to get back to decent metal). Current mk2 stock: 3 LXs: white c20xe, blue & red std, blue LX parts car, blue GLi, & monaro VXR Renault 5e daily (french go kart) Report
November 9, 20178 yr Author comment_216281 2 hours ago, Greg said: Welding is all in the preparation. Which means its hard on these old rusty cars as you find the affected area is bigger than it first looks (to get back to decent metal). I have a sickening feeling that mines going to need a lot more than originally planned . Report
November 10, 20178 yr CLUB MEMBER comment_216290 Chin up Kelvin.....I actually enjoyed the welding bit. It just takes some time and effort that's all Current mk2 stock: 3 LXs: white c20xe, blue & red std, blue LX parts car, blue GLi, & monaro VXR Renault 5e daily (french go kart) Report
November 10, 20178 yr Author comment_216291 1 hour ago, Greg said: Chin up Kelvin.....I actually enjoyed the welding bit. It just takes some time and effort that's all Am excited about doing it my self , but also getting impatient Report
November 23, 20178 yr Author comment_216345 Well as usual things don't go quite to plan the project was to get the welding and mot done before Christmas , may have been a bit ambitious but I thought it was do able obviously not. Now work has died off completely and no money means no work gets done to the car, I don't want to strip any more parts off until I can afford to fix it, so the plan now is to research and read up about the work I plan to get done, fix the problems that won't cost money and generally fettle about in the engine bay. Report
November 24, 20178 yr CLUB MEMBER comment_216348 Sorry to hear a lack of work Kelvin, good luck with finding more. If you have time, then there is plenty to do with these old cars for not much cash input, get the grinder and scraper out for a start Current mk2 stock: 3 LXs: white c20xe, blue & red std, blue LX parts car, blue GLi, & monaro VXR Renault 5e daily (french go kart) Report
November 24, 20178 yr Author comment_216350 Thanks I hope so to, thankfully I've just about finished wire brushing the underneath so I can concentrate on the other jobs that need to cleaned, I may start on the engine bay . Report
November 25, 20178 yr comment_216354 20 hours ago, Kelvin berry said: I may start on the engine bay . the currant buns in the sky, its dry, so a perfect day to start !! Report
November 25, 20178 yr Author comment_216362 2 hours ago, Tony Autoweld Plaskett said: I'm a welder where abouts are you mate ? Hi Tony, im in leicestershire . Report
November 26, 20178 yr comment_216363 Shame mate I'm in the Scottish borders I would have welded it up for you Report
November 26, 20178 yr Author comment_216364 37 minutes ago, Tony Autoweld Plaskett said: Shame mate I'm in the Scottish borders I would have welded it up for you I'm due a holiday I can bring it up to ya. Lol.. Report
November 26, 20178 yr comment_216365 Bit big to go in your hand luggage haha, send me photos of the effected areas and i will give you a price, if your mad enough to bring it up here I'll weld it up for ya Report
November 26, 20178 yr comment_216369 Cheaper way to do it would probably be pay me to come.down there with my equipment and weld it there but my expenses with travelling and accommdation on top of my time welding would add up a bit be cheaper and quicker than trying to learn yourself I suppose Report
November 26, 20178 yr Author comment_216370 19 minutes ago, Tony Autoweld Plaskett said: Cheaper way to do it would probably be pay me to come.down there with my equipment and weld it there but my expenses with travelling and accommdation on top of my time welding would add up a bit be cheaper and quicker than trying to learn yourself I suppose I'e got a tent you can use and probably £100 for fuel should be enough , all that' left is your quote for the welding, lol. Report
November 26, 20178 yr comment_216371 What's the post code for mileage check and what needs welding Report
November 27, 20178 yr Author comment_216372 The front passenger side footwell needs doing , other than that the usual welding of sills wheel arches and rear lower valance Report
November 27, 20178 yr comment_216373 Inner sills or outer sills and how many and are we talking full replacement sills or patching what's there Inner arches or outer arches all 4 or just rears are we welding plates in and filling or putting outer arches in and smoothing or full rear quarters and smoothing or am i just welding replacement panels in and your smoothing/filling or what ? Are we plating the floorpan or replacing it with a new panel, if replacing it what size is the new panel around ? if we are plating it how many plates of what size Will i be welding in and will I be welding them into the inside just or you want both sides or are we going for exact cut outs welded in and smoothed so they are invisible The rear valance do you have a new one to weld in or are we repairing the one on the car and again if we are plating it how many plates of what size and I'm assuming you will deffo want that cut out exact and welded in and then ground off and polished so it' invisible will you ?? I need this info to be able to work out my time and materials mate if you let me know or better still send me detailed photos I can make an educated guess and give an accurate quote Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.