Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MK2CAV.COM

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Hatchback

Featured Replies

  • Replies 139
  • Views 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Kelvin berry
    Kelvin berry

    Spent the day sourcing parts for my new cavalier,  found a new wing off ebay, sills and arches from a place in malvern, and arranged to get her collected for next weekend. Feeling really excited

  • Lol.....thanks....any mk2 love is appreciated on here.  Good luck with it Kelvin

  • 2nd, 3rd, 4th opinion time, but as has been said, gotta find someone that likes / loves them! If you don't need the car anytime soon, there are some top guys in Scotland! (only half joking!)

Posted Images

  • Author

Onto my last chance for a welder, if he doesn' do it I'll be doing it all myself , it' just going to have to be done at a later date that' all..

  • CLUB MEMBER
On ‎06‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 19:51, Kelvin berry said:

I actually had a quote for the welding today £2000, yes 2 thousand :huh:

:blink:

Madness.....maybe my dad needs to go back to welding up cars if that's the charge now.  Hell maybe I should.

Good luck with it Kelvin

Current mk2 stock: 3 LXs: white c20xe, blue & red std, blue LX parts car, blue GLi, & monaro VXR

Renault 5e daily (french go kart)

  • Author
44 minutes ago, Greg said:

:blink:

Madness.....maybe my dad needs to go back to welding up cars if that's the charge now.  Hell maybe I should.

Good luck with it Kelvin

I've got one more guy to see about the welding, if all fails I'm goin back to school to learn , you can always practice on my motor Greg :D:D.

  • CLUB MEMBER

Lol......I had plenty of practice on my white LX, but thanks for the offer ;)

Current mk2 stock: 3 LXs: white c20xe, blue & red std, blue LX parts car, blue GLi, & monaro VXR

Renault 5e daily (french go kart)

  • Author
49 minutes ago, Greg said:

Lol......I had plenty of practice on my white LX, but thanks for the offer ;)

You can tell me where not to go wrong then :D..

  • CLUB MEMBER

Welding is all in the preparation.  Which means its hard on these old rusty cars as you find the affected area is bigger than it first looks (to get back to decent metal).

Current mk2 stock: 3 LXs: white c20xe, blue & red std, blue LX parts car, blue GLi, & monaro VXR

Renault 5e daily (french go kart)

  • Author
2 hours ago, Greg said:

Welding is all in the preparation.  Which means its hard on these old rusty cars as you find the affected area is bigger than it first looks (to get back to decent metal).

I have a sickening feeling that mines going to need a lot more than originally planned :(.

  • CLUB MEMBER

Chin up Kelvin.....I actually enjoyed the welding bit.  It just takes some time and effort that's all :D

Current mk2 stock: 3 LXs: white c20xe, blue & red std, blue LX parts car, blue GLi, & monaro VXR

Renault 5e daily (french go kart)

  • Author
1 hour ago, Greg said:

Chin up Kelvin.....I actually enjoyed the welding bit.  It just takes some time and effort that's all :D

Am excited about doing it my self , but also getting impatient :lol:

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Author

Well as usual things don't go quite to plan the project was to get the welding and mot done before Christmas , may have been a bit ambitious but I thought it was do able obviously not.

Now work has died off completely and no money means no work gets done to the car, I don't want to strip any more parts off until I can afford to fix it,  so the plan now is to research and read up about the work I plan to get done, fix the problems that won't cost money and generally fettle about in the engine bay. 

  • CLUB MEMBER

Sorry to hear a lack of work Kelvin, good luck with finding more.

If you have time, then there is plenty to do with these old cars for not much cash input, get the grinder and scraper out for a start

Current mk2 stock: 3 LXs: white c20xe, blue & red std, blue LX parts car, blue GLi, & monaro VXR

Renault 5e daily (french go kart)

  • Author

Thanks I hope so to, thankfully I've just about finished wire brushing the underneath so I can concentrate on the other jobs that need to cleaned, I may start on the engine bay .

20 hours ago, Kelvin berry said:

 I may start on the engine bay .

the currant buns in the sky, its dry, so a perfect day to start !! 

  • Author
2 hours ago, Tony Autoweld Plaskett said:

I'm a welder where abouts are you mate ?

Hi Tony,  im in leicestershire .

  • Author
37 minutes ago, Tony Autoweld Plaskett said:

Shame mate I'm in the Scottish borders I would have welded it up for you

I'm due a holiday I can bring it up to ya. Lol..

Bit big to go in your  hand luggage haha, send me photos of the effected areas and i will give you a price, if your mad enough to bring it up here I'll weld it up for ya

Cheaper way to do it would probably be pay me to come.down there with my equipment and weld it there but my expenses with travelling and accommdation on top of my time welding would add up a bit be cheaper and quicker than trying to learn yourself I suppose 

  • Author
19 minutes ago, Tony Autoweld Plaskett said:

Cheaper way to do it would probably be pay me to come.down there with my equipment and weld it there but my expenses with travelling and accommdation on top of my time welding would add up a bit be cheaper and quicker than trying to learn yourself I suppose 

I'e got a tent you can use and probably  £100 for fuel should be enough , all that' left is your quote for the welding, lol. 

  • Author

The front passenger side footwell needs doing , other than that the usual welding of sills wheel arches and rear lower valance

20171005_131200.jpg

Inner sills or outer sills and how many and are we talking full replacement sills or patching what's there

 

Inner arches or outer arches all 4 or just rears are we welding plates in and filling or putting outer arches in and smoothing or full rear quarters and smoothing or am i just welding replacement panels in and your smoothing/filling or what ?

Are we plating the floorpan or replacing it with a new panel, if replacing it what size is the new panel around ? if we are plating it how many plates of what size Will i be welding in and will I be welding them into the inside just or you want both sides or are we going for exact cut outs welded in and smoothed so they are invisible

 

The rear valance do you have a new one to weld in or are we repairing the one on the car and again if we are plating it how many plates of what size and I'm assuming you will deffo want that cut out exact and welded in and then ground off and polished so it' invisible will you ??

 

I need this info to be able to work out my time and materials mate if you let me know or better still send me detailed photos I can make an educated guess and give an accurate quote

 

 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.