April 2, 201610 yr comment_212382 Just about to go and collect this old clunker Its a bit rough, has iffy brakes, and leaks fuel and oil. Perfect ill stick up a few more photos when I get it home if anyone is interested.  Edited April 4, 201610 yr by sal Report
April 2, 201610 yr comment_212383 Great, another Calibra user on here. That's a late 2.0 by the look of it. Made in Finland! Report
April 2, 201610 yr Author comment_212389 Hi john it's a 2.0 on an L plate and is the earlier front without "V" grill. I thought all the earlier 16v's were XE's but this one's an ecotec so must be one of the first with the XEV? I had to repair a split fuel pipe before I set off and it had a bit of a misfire under load which improved after a few miles.  Needs a good service, hand brake cable seems not to be attached to lever and I need to trace oil leak. Overall it's a bit rough but it's mostly all there and hasn't been messed around with too much. The original lights are in boot and will be fitted in place of the LED's Dodgy wheels will be replaced with a good set of Vauxhall wheels Couple marks at front and lights may be a bit dull Nice blue gaiters are heading for bin interior is fairly clean although headlining needs stuck again in a few places. It was local and cheap so it's worth sorting out what it needs and I'll find some use for it. Edited April 2, 201610 yr by sal Report
April 2, 201610 yr comment_212390 Optional leather and air con fitted by the look of it. Yes, very early Ecotech, and made in Russelheim. Must have run out of XEs. Got some Cesaros here, waiting for a new home Report
April 2, 201610 yr Author comment_212391 I'll have a look through the wheels I've got knocking around. I think I have what are the correct 5 spoke alloys for this model but I'll let you know about the cesaro's as they would be a good option. Report
April 2, 201610 yr Author comment_212399 Thanks for the encouragement chaps I'll maybe update this as I go since a few folks are interested in Calibra's. I don't intend going too in depth with this car. Running well and looking presentable will do and getting the mk2 sorted will be the main focus. Report
April 2, 201610 yr comment_212403 Not a fan of calibra's sorry  Sal but love your dedication ?    Report
April 3, 201610 yr comment_212408 Very nice Sal. A Calibra has been on my list for a while now. Was it pricey? Report
April 3, 201610 yr comment_212409 I had a white one a few years ago, was a v6 but the previous owner couldnt scrap it as the body was perfect, so he put a xe in it, was a nice motor but was only a stop gap for me. Report
April 3, 201610 yr Author comment_212411 9 hours ago, Jonny said: Not a fan of calibra's sorry  Sal but love your dedication ? Fair comment mate. I've always had a soft spot for them. Used one as a daily about 15 years ago. 6 hours ago, Matt O-SRi said: Very nice Sal. A Calibra has been on my list for a while now. Was it pricey? Cheap as chips Matt. Seller almost gave it to me as only other interest he had was from guys wanting to break it.  It's got about 4 months mot and shouldn't be too much work for next one.  1 hour ago, Richie said: I had a white one a few years ago, was a v6 but the previous owner couldnt scrap it as the body was perfect, so he put a xe in it, was a nice motor but was only a stop gap for me. The body isn't too bad on this one too. Not by any means perfect but a bit of work will see it good again and I reckon it's still got some miles left in it. Report
April 3, 201610 yr comment_212415 I've always fancied an auto one of these! Looks like a good project! :) Report
April 3, 201610 yr Author comment_212417 Still a few autos around for not a lot of money. Had a look at the brakes earlier and they are a work of art. Rear discs are smaller than they should be and have been red rilled, badly, to fit. Front discs are not a matching pair. Passenger one I'm not even sure is from a Vauxhall. Just as well I have a sense of humour  Report
April 3, 201610 yr Author comment_212422 Yeah passenger disc looks completely different. Couldn't get Vauxhall alloy on as centre of disc was too broad in diameter. Cars been in the hands of a top notch bodger at some point. Wont be a daily mate I prefer modern comforts and need reliable transport for work.  I'll get it running right and looking better and see what I want to do from there.  How's the mk2 hunt going?  I noticed an early spec beige cavalier for sale on Facebook earlier? Report
April 3, 201610 yr comment_212423 Still, discs/pads are pretty cheap. Sounds a really good purchase. Report
April 3, 201610 yr Author comment_212425 10 minutes ago, GreyDJ2 said: Still, discs/pads are pretty cheap. Sounds a really good purchase. That's the thing I was thinking earlier. Who would bodge brakes when you can pick the parts up so cheaply? You could actually save me a headache if you don't mind John. The boot lock is temperamental and I know it works as previous owner opened it but I don't have the knack. Can you tell me how the lock positions work? Â I assume it's locked with key vertical and it turns clockwise and presses in to release? Report
April 3, 201610 yr comment_212429 Always liked the Calibra, have fond memories of being a passenger in a new Turbo driven by a then work colleague chasing and sticking with ease to a Sapphire Cosworth, happy days. If i remember he sold his Astra GTE 16V and had a large eye watering bank loan to buy it but it sure did shift. Report
April 3, 201610 yr comment_212430  Just keeping my eyes open to what's around really Sal. Soon as I see what I want I'll pounce lol. Was that the beige Betty saloon Chris M had? Report
April 3, 201610 yr Author comment_212432 No it was an early hatch. I'll try and find it for you mate and I'll text link to you. Report
April 3, 201610 yr comment_212433 4 hours ago, sal said: That's the thing I was thinking earlier. Who would bodge brakes when you can pick the parts up so cheaply? You could actually save me a headache if you don't mind John. The boot lock is temperamental and I know it works as previous owner opened it but I don't have the knack. Can you tell me how the lock positions work? Â I assume it's locked with key vertical and it turns clockwise and presses in to release? Got a flat battery atm so can't check. These are from the manual. Do you need a manual? Report
April 3, 201610 yr comment_212434 1 hour ago, sal said: No it was an early hatch. I'll try and find it for you mate and I'll text link to you. Nice one cheers Report
April 4, 201610 yr comment_212435 Sorry I'm a bit late to the party but I would be interested in updates on this I enjoy projects like this, Good buy Sal! Not many around now. Cant beliave that the break disks are different sizes though, a professional bodger at its best there. Report
April 4, 201610 yr Author comment_212436 GreyDJ:. That's exactly the info I was after thank you . If you have a spare manual yeah I'd be interested. Just let me know what it costs. Matt:. I sent you text with photos etc. Steven:. I'll update occasionally as I do a few bits to the car. I'll also get some photos of the brakes when I change them as they are a bit special  Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.