Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MK2CAV.COM

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

130 f16 gearbox

Featured Replies

I have hound that as the gearbox warms up it becomes increasingly difficult to get into and out of gear. Just wondering if anybody had a gearbox for sale.

Cheers

Simon

  • Author

The gear selection remains stiff whilst the engine isn't running and I have replaced the clutch twice just to be sure. There is no synchro crunch and it is as difficult to get out of gear as it is to get it in. I imagine it has something to do with the car having stood for twenty odd years.

Have you checked the oil? as my cavvy has the internals from a box that came out of a Sri that was sat on its axles & I have no stiffness in selection there at all. Another possibility is the selector shaft & bottom of gearstick which you could try a silicone based oil.

  • Author

Yep have tried several different makes and grade of oil all to no avail. I have had the selector shaft all apart and cleaned and lubed it and the nylon bushes and all the gearstick mechanism which all leads me to conclude that the fault is inside the box which is a bummer.

Might purchase an F20 or equivalent and strip my box down.

Every Cav I've owned after say a motorway blast can be a bit 'sticky' to get into gear once the box is hot.

I don't think this will help you but

I sometimes find this when slowing down using the gearbox I find that double de-clutching really helps.

When you come out of gear and go into neutral bring clutch up and then go into your next gear. If it's still hard sometimes when in neutral give the engine a little Rev.

I don't think this will help you but

I sometimes find this when slowing down using the gearbox I find that double de-clutching really helps.

When you come out of gear and go into neutral bring clutch up and then go into your next gear. If it's still hard sometimes when in neutral give the engine a little Rev.

100% agree Steven. I've done the same on the odd occasion.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.