Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MK2CAV.COM

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Estonian Ascona C Irmscher 88'

Featured Replies

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 104
  • Views 84.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • otipoiss
    otipoiss

    Some pretty little things.  Preparations. Had to replace 3 doors actually, the one I didnt, has been replaced in the past. So there will be no original doors :D  

  • Also looking for factory / OEM engine bay pictures from any angle you  have. I have questions about some fittings on my parts car.

  • otipoiss
    otipoiss

    Working on the boot/rear apron. Since my tools are limited to hammers and dollys, and also some bits of wood,  the result is nothing near concours quality. But the grooves there are necessary, so they

Posted Images

  • Author

This is where my english is a bit narrow. I'm not entirely sure what you  mean by holds, but I take a guess that you mean all the bolts and bits. 

All of them were sand or soda blasted and then zinc plated.

Unfortunately there are not many (2 as far as I know) companies in Estonia that do plating and the one closer to me had quadrupled its prices. I think its mainly to scare off hobbyists like me. 

  • CLUB MEMBER
On 15/05/2020 at 21:01, andy said:

Are the holds all chemical treated and plated? Or are they new?

Sorry my bad... Bolts and new parts, all plated and refurbished or new?

  • 1 month later...
  • Author

Keeping this thread somewhat up to date. 

tiib21.jpg

tiib1.jpg

tiib3.jpg

So front fenders got some treatment to the inside. Thoroughly cleaned, painted, stone chip protected, and painted again. The outside will be taken care of when they are finally fixed to the car. 

I have repainted the engine bay again and I think that more successfully this time. Ofcourse its still not show-quality but will do for me. 

I also have a question. I've gotten some suggestions over time, that I should replace my original (C20NE) camshaft with a 18E one. Is this something worth doing? Does a bare camshaft give me anything or do i need the whole head from 18E? 

  • 3 weeks later...
  • Author

Question. Where does the fuel return line connect to? Right now im guessing to the sender unit? The fuel vapor can goes to the filling neck? Ive got 3 connections there which i guess 2 go straight to the tank. I think Im in a need of a thorough manual for assembly :D

pohi.jpg

Also another problem occurred, I do not have the necessary stuff to complete handbrake system, everything that is supposed to be mounted on the rear axle is either lost or gone to scrap because of being rotten. 

Edited by otipoiss

  • 1 month later...
  • Author

Not much to report, other than the copper piping is mostly done. Handbrake system to assemble and I think its time to remove the rotisserie after that .

Also bought a bunch of parts. pehmedv22rtused.jpg.89f7bef03311a34fec2fcbdf657e051a.jpg

To be honest I actually bought more of them, a whole parts car 

gtsp3.jpg.6cbbb9a0d7c6233e2c11c1e7a84e0203.jpggtsp2.jpg.0952e3c4e5924680ff138eb7d7a3307e.jpggtsp1.jpg.02d5cac286f6604ddb34ae375b1e200a.jpg

 

Its a GT Sport with 20NE engine. I dont know if it would run, I dont have the motivation or time to find out either. Interior was the main reason for buying it, but I guess it will be quite convenient to have another car to look at while putting my own car back together. 

Edited by otipoiss
pictures

  • 1 month later...
  • Author

I will continue my monologue. 

 

oo2.jpg

oo1.jpg

oo3.jpg

oovittu.jpg

Passenger side front door came from hatchback and it doesn't fit. This means that hatchbacks have lower roofline? Funny thing is that I did measure the width of the door before even bothering to remove it, but I never ever thought that a sedan door could be taller. Very unreasonable of Opel/Vauxhall. 

Anyhow, luckily I have my donor car, and that door was ok. 

A question aswell, how much do headlight wiper motors/arms cost these days? Someone from MK2Cav Facebook group did offer me an incomplete set, but I'd hate to overpay. 

Edited by otipoiss
pictures

looking good! i didnt know about the doors being different!

found this for sale in Ireland

image.png.560054fa298f1564aaba0f5f9740cc3a.png

Eighteen months ago i paid £25 for two new in the bag GM old stock headlamp wiper arms with 4 new blades from a local guy here in Ruabon who had a 130 around 30 years ago which i thought was very cheap but no motors, fortunately both mine were ok. I think used motors will be very rare though i don,t recall ever seeing any for sale. 

  • 2 years later...
  • Author

Hello. It has been a while. 

I am still trying to start over with this. Trial fitting the body panels, bending them right, to match and follow the lines of the car shell. Maybe I find some recent pictures later aswell. 

In the last few years I've managed to secure a set of headlight washer motors. Also a wiper arm for the left hand side, but Im missing a right hand one. 

If someone has it for sale then please let me know. 

part#90035684.png

Edited by otipoiss
pix

  • 2 years later...
  • Author

Alright, not that there has been tons of success to report.  But still, what ive done meanwhile is, glued on some soundproofing. Cleaned the wiring loom, and am now in the process of putting the wiring back into the car. 

Today i found out that my parts car has speakers under the dash aswell. Removed those, but as you might guess they are quite old and generally in bad shape. Mine had none, so I definetly want some now.

 

What i dont have though, is the  thick floor mats that are under the carpet, covering the footwells in front. Probably impossible to find aswell.

 

This is it for now,  I will try and make some photos  tomorrow.

I replaced the speakers under the dash, small JVC oval did the job.

 

As to the floor, no supply left. Probably best to build it up. I trimmed some 5mm acoustic adhesive foam into the hollows and then two layers of sheets covering the whole area.

 

Make sure any sound deadening on the engine side of the bulkhead ends about 2cm above the bottom seam. Use in the trunk area as well. Its cheap from Amazon.

P1040473.JPG

P1040474.JPG

P1040472.JPG

  • 3 weeks later...
  • Author

So i promised something, i will atleast show some quite random pics. 
[img]https://www.upload.ee/image/18026304/IMG_5816.jpeg[/img]
[img]https://www.upload.ee/image/18026312/IMG_5818.jpeg[/img]
[img]https://www.upload.ee/image/18026318/IMG_5821.jpeg[/img]
[img]https://www.upload.ee/image/18026323/EF958CAB-422D-4E45-AA3A-2D0E6D7A0F43.jpeg[/img]
[img]https://www.upload.ee/image/18026324/IMG_5926.jpeg[/img]
[img]https://www.upload.ee/image/18026332/IMG_5945.jpeg[/img
[img]https://www.upload.ee/image/18026368/IMG_5937.jpeg[/img]
[img]https://www.upload.ee/image/18026370/IMG_5938.jpeg[/img]
[img]https://www.upload.ee/image/18026377/IMG_5946.jpeg[/img]
[img]https://www.upload.ee/image/18026379/IMG_5954.jpeg[/img]
[img]https://www.upload.ee/image/18026400/IMG_5951.jpeg[/img]
[img]https://www.upload.ee/image/18026406/IMG_5955.jpeg[/img]

 

On my donor car i saw  that it has speakers under the dash,  but mine didnt so i had to have them. The donor car was a great idea, I would never be able to put everything back correctly without it.  Also while im already tidying up the dash, I figured its a ood idea to try and get it more silent.  Used foam seal to make things tighter and get rid of some noises at least.  Then i got some help from a friend, who said he'll try and pressure wash the F16 gearbox. This gave me quite ok unit, but I now have the possibility to use laser cleaning, so i tried that also. Its no miracle but OK. Bolts and stuff I will try and get zinc coated, hopefully for the last time.  That also means I have to find everything that is visible and needs to be zinc. Which means im turning my shelves upside down,  revising everything and slowly putting things together. I have also started to install wiring. 
 

  • CLUB MEMBER

Images are not showing up.  Sounds like good progress though

Current mk2 stock: 3 LXs: white c20xe, blue & red std, blue LX parts car, blue GLi, & monaro VXR

Renault 5e daily (french go kart)

  • CLUB MEMBER

Looking good.....factory fresh parts

Current mk2 stock: 3 LXs: white c20xe, blue & red std, blue LX parts car, blue GLi, & monaro VXR

Renault 5e daily (french go kart)

  • 2 months later...
  • Author

Has anyone got a windshield reservoir that i could buy? GM 90 227 463 Mine is eaten by rats.

IMG_6520.jpeg

Edited by otipoiss

  • 2 months later...
  • Author

So I am in the process of fitting the Digi-dash into the car and whileso having to tackle the plugs and wiring. Most of it is straightforward and matches the diagrams I have been lucky enough to get from facebook group. Some of it does not match though, so I started looking at diagrams in the Haynes manual. There will have to be different colours connected together in my case and I really want to get it right. So now it will take longer than expected, as always. 
 

The whole wiring is in the car, slowly sorting it out. Some things do not make sense at all, like the wiring for tank sender unit, it was just short, no matter how i tried but it didn’t make any sense to me so i lenghtened those wires. 
 

Dash is in, fusebox is in its place, most of the plugs have found their connectors again. Illumination in its place. If i manage to get the digi dash connections done, then its the radios turn, i have to update that wiring aswell since there were no ISO connectors. On my local facebook marketplace there was this cool JVC Chameleon unit , but for the moment too expensive and irrelevant for me. There would be more important things to buy. 
 

So if anyone has their old digi dash diagrams still stored somewhere then please feel free to share, maybe I have not seen all yet.

IMG_7349.jpeg

Edited by otipoiss

  • Author

Yea by these diagrams i should have 2x grey/green wires, but I dont. I had 2x blue/green. Also a brown/red wire which i now know goes to brake fluid pot. 

Hi, the diagram that I posted up was for converting a dash with tacho over
to a digi dash.

  • 1 month later...
  • Author

I really need that washer fluid tank with greater capacity. Please if anyone thinks they have it then please  have a look. 
 

How does headlight wiping work anyway? Does it come on every time I use windshield washing?

 

Other than that, i’m  working towards getting the engine in maybe even this year. This year Inhave spent massive sleep-hours on cleaning and painting bits and pieces I dont even know where to put anymore. But I think I’m getting through it soon.
 

 

IMG_7630.jpeg

IMG_7559.jpeg

IMG_7560.jpeg

IMG_7456.jpeg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.