April 8, 201412 yr comment_199618 Evening, Just a general enquiry, How much would it be to replace (if written off) a 1988 CDi Saloon?Either a shell only or one in need of restoration.Many thanks! Report
April 8, 201412 yr comment_199619 Normal car less than £500 for a dog. Nice road going example £2000. If it's mint insure it for about £3-4k. Show condition £4+You would really struggle for insurance to rebuild one, they would simply write if off. Report
April 8, 201412 yr Author comment_199631 The vehicle in question is this....https://www.dropbox.com/s/6i8v9racbdgus3g/IMAG1666.jpgI've had this parked up by my unit for the past 7 years :angel:I have collected 90% of the panels and stored another 2 vehicles of spares, waiting for the opportunity to start the restoration process. I was just estimating to repair what I got or to start with something a little more solid?Many thanks for your reply. Report
April 8, 201412 yr comment_199632 If you have the panels and skills it's worth it. If you don't and can afford it get a good body shop to do it. If it's going to sit another 7 years it will be well worth it. Report
April 8, 201412 yr Author comment_199633 I am aiming to restore this one as a replacement for a Sri 130 Saloon I'd written off, I managed to buy back that one and completely strip it for spares. I also had a Lxi Hatch (which ran on gas) but this was too far gone and I had to scrap it, the shell only as I completely stripped that one too. So at least I've got plenty of spares. Report
April 9, 201412 yr comment_199637 Welcome to the site, you've come to the right place Just from a superficial look from the photo, your CD looks better than many round here have started out with. You seem to have a good idea of what you are doing, so, whilst trying not to 'teach a grandmother...' the key areas are what are these like:- chassis legs by the spring and on top in the boot- inner wing around the petrol filler hole- front of front floors- rear of front splashbacks- front cross memberBy the sound of it you are planning to create a '130 alike' from the CD. Do you still have the SEH and front roll bar from the 130? Is the 130 an auto?I have turned a late auto CD into just that. Report
April 9, 201412 yr comment_199643 Is the 130 an auto?Did Vauxhall build an auto 130? I didn't think they ever did? Welcome to the site mate Report
April 9, 201412 yr CLUB MEMBER comment_199659 Welcome.The CDi looks great......get the welder out, you'll be a dab hand at it when complete :angel:The easiest way to see if you can take it on is to join up to the club and trawl through the project threads. Many have gone before as these cars rot really well Shame the LXi had to go. Current mk2 stock: 3 LXs: white c20xe, blue & red std, blue LX parts car, blue GLi, & monaro VXR Renault 5e daily (french go kart) Report
April 10, 201412 yr Author comment_199691 Many thanks for the replys and yes it'll probably be 5 years before I complete it I haven't had a look at all the area's that GreyDJ pointed out, the CDi is a manual and I was planning on using the 130 engine as I had it up-rated ;DAt present I'm teaching myself how to weld by building a 2cv (for the wife) from the chassis upwards!Where would we be without our projects? :angel: Report
April 11, 201412 yr comment_199738 Many thanks for the replys and yes it'll probably be 5 years before I complete it I haven't had a look at all the area's that GreyDJ pointed out, the CDi is a manual and I was planning on using the 130 engine as I had it up-rated ;DAt present I'm teaching myself how to weld by building a 2cv (for the wife) from the chassis upwards!Where would we be without our projects? :angel: without projects we would millionaires lol Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.