November 12, 201015 yr comment_142588 Hello Everyone,First post on here.I have always had Vauxhalls and have had 3 Vivas, Cav Mk I , Vectra etcI have a lovely Blue Cav Mk II LX 4 Door Saloon Manual 1988 which used to be my friend from new so im second keeper and its only done 53,000 miles. I have had it since 2002. Its as she was no mods. Shes great underneaith with no welding.its had sort of fatory fitted alloys and facorty sun roof and sort of recrado hug seats - got a Piranna Alarm tooI love the car but in a delima and wondered if you guys can advise me.I have esp in last three years mainly kept it sorn. Previous to that I only drove it once a week to get her to running temp.Just recently had it serviced and checked brakes and checked over, antifreeze etc. Mechnically its perfect no leaks and body work is OK not a shinney as its once was though .My problem is that I have a company car and my wife has here own car and I dont have much spare money to pay road tax and insurance and MOT. I know it would pass an MOT.note Car has a 4 cm line bit of rust on a wheel arch I just put rust killer on and will fill it and prime just to explain its conditionI please ask you guya) How much is my car worth? Will it increase in value if i keep to 25 years and beyond?C) have any of you guys kept a car of the road for 5 years and was and it that Ok on the car?d) if things do start to go worng can i still get spoares?After 25 yearse) Do i soon get free road tax?f) Do I get free conjestion charge for London?I notice most old cavs are SRI, Cabros, so does this make mine a bit rare? Does anyone go for these simple 4 door LX salooons?Thanks very much and sorry for all the questionsCal Report
November 12, 201015 yr comment_142589 I can only help on one of these and that is the road tax, this would be no as the car is not pre 1973. Report
November 12, 201015 yr Author comment_142590 Oh I see oonly pre 1973 for free road taxthats a shame its would have helped me outthanks for helping though much appreciated Report
November 12, 201015 yr comment_142591 a) With no MoT then its worth peanuts (virtuallly scrap value) unfortunately but with 12 months MoT then £1000 is about it in all honesty. It will probably increase in value slightly but a car of this type will never be an investment.c) If it has been off the road for a few years it may well need re-commisioning, tyres, brake fluid etc. A couple of hundred pounds to do it yourself is a fair estimate.d) General running/service parts are readily available. Some more major parts could be a bit of a challenge.e) There are no plans that I am aware to make this car eligible for free road tax.f) As its a petrol car there are no plans for congestion charge exclusion planned for it. Report
November 12, 201015 yr Author comment_142592 Cheers Mark Thank you so much for being so kind to explain that to meYeah I did all that and it cost me £170 inc the service parts we checked the breaks front and back also changed most of the break fluid if not all of it when we checked the breaks.You made me a bit happier now I know its up to a grand in value - cheers - we buy any car gave me a quote on line of £50 quid!!!is may car rare though? as its a normal 4 door LX Saloon? most of the mk 2 i see are sri or covertable ones Report
November 12, 201015 yr comment_142598 i hope to be able to answer some of your questions thecav lx is getting a bit thin on the ground especially in saloon form it depends how attached you to her the best option if funds are limited is to only use her for 6 months of the year in summer insure her on a classic car policy i recomend lancasters i only use my ascona from april through to to september and the cdi as a daily driver it on cost me £93 fully comp for the ascona with a 3000 mile limit and £112 for 6 months road tax we don't usually get involved in the how much is it worth debates except went some dealer buys a cav cheap and then trys to sell it at a vastly inflated price the car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it if you do keep the car then joining the club is £15 well spent as it will give you access to lots of friendly advice and difficult to source parts hope this answers some of your questionsoh and as for webuyanycar.com offering you £50 for your cav tell them to politley f**k off ;D ;D Report
November 12, 201015 yr Author comment_142604 Hi kensasconaYeah they can get stuffed I aint letting them hav it fgor £50 quid - they must think im mad - I'm like it here i'll prob jopin up soonyour a very freindly lot and i can see from alot of posts your help each other outcheers for the advice - i'll keep the car and do a 6 months at a time on itperhaps one day it might be the only 4 door LX "saloon" on the road left and i'll be richDoes anyone know an insurance co that will do 6 months insurance please ?? Report
November 12, 201015 yr comment_142609 perhaps one day it might be the only 4 door LX "saloon" on the road left and i'll be richTo be honest, it's one of only a very small number of LX's in existence already!!! And, being a Saloon, it's ever rarer!!! If you can, I would definitely try to keep it! It may never increase much from where it's valued now, but who knows.....I mean, look at the Price of Cortinas as an example......they fetch crazy money these days, even for base models!In terms of desirability, the LX and LXi have always been one of my fave models.......the interior to me, is the best in any late MK2 but with the smaller engines, they are cheaper to run and insure than the SRi. I remember spending forever trying to find a good LX when I was younger, due to being like an SRi in terms of looks, but cheaper on insurance. I'd buy it if I had the space, but on a mission to sell cars at the mo and not buy more lol Report
November 12, 201015 yr CLUB MEMBER comment_142625 Any chance of pics ? The saviour of mk2 cavs & ascona's Report
November 13, 201015 yr comment_142644 Wow! What a lovely motor! I have a thing for blue cavs, and yours in no exception! I'd try and keep her if I was you, she'll bring you years of pleasure even if you only bring her out/tax her in the summer. I have a cav I do that with. Report
November 13, 201015 yr comment_142647 wow , its the same colour as the one i brought new in 1988 ,its got to be THEbest colour for one ,keep it ,use it and enjoy it Report
November 13, 201015 yr Author comment_142648 Hi Dawn thanks ;DDoes anyone know how I can find out how many of my version in he Uk left? 8) Report
November 13, 201015 yr comment_142649 Saloon and HatchBase, L, GL, GLS and CD 1.3/1.6/1.8/2.0 Not quotedLX OTR 25 SORN 38LXi OTR 10 SORN 6SR OTR 6 SORN 2SaloonSRi 1.8 OTR 25 SORN 20SRi 2.0 and SRi130 OTR 46 SORN 23Calibre OTR 21 SORN 24HatchSRi 1.8 OTR 65 SORN 39SRi 2.0 and SRi130 OTR 59 SORN 34CabrioletOTR 182 SORN 184 What would Gordon do? Report
November 13, 201015 yr Author comment_142650 wow that a great help thanks very useful statsand as mine is a Saloon more rarer Wow there may be only about 10 left in the worldcor i'll keep it now !!! Report
November 13, 201015 yr CLUB MEMBER comment_142651 You will not regret keeping it, still has original wheels, it looks very nice in that colour .. The saviour of mk2 cavs & ascona's Report
November 13, 201015 yr comment_142652 Looks a lovely motor mate, keep it, you wont regret it. Welcome to our family by the way Report
November 14, 201015 yr comment_142707 Nice car mate it looks well looked after If you did want to sell it drop me a pm i will have it off you Report
November 14, 201015 yr comment_142708 There will be a queue for this one if it ever comes up for sale . As for we buy any car,the saying goes we buy any car for f*** all. Report
November 14, 201015 yr comment_142723 STUNNING STUNNING AND DID I SAY STUNNING?Love it, keep it, cherish it!And I agree with Neil......there will be a queue for this if you do decide to sell and I'll be in it ;DP.S. Just noticed is an F-plate.......which means even more rarity, for any MK2Cav!!! Report
June 3, 201115 yr Author comment_152302 http://www.mk2cav.com/index.php/topic,18108.msg164365.html#msg164365Hi I am going to sell my Car so if your interested more photos on the above link and price etc Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.