Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MK2CAV.COM

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Mk2 Convertible owner looking for advice

Featured Replies

Hello everyone, joined the site last year when I bought a Mk2 convertible haven't really been on much due to losing heart with the cav cos it needed some work and didn't have the money to give it what it needs.

Anywho, an injection of cash and new found enthusiasm has spurred me on to get cracking restoring the old girl. Unfortunately for you guys it means I am gonna try and squeeze as much information and maybe even some spare parts here and there as I can.

Never been a huge fan of the Mk2 cavalier until I saw my 1st convertible one which I ended up buying the next day.

All I've really got round to doing so far (apart from SORNing it) was installing some leather interior. Oh, and fixing both sills, sorting out the mild sagging the centre of the car was experiencing and welding up the hole in the floor that the previous owner failed to mention (my own fault for not looking underneath I guess but it wouldn't have stopped me buying her).

Am desperate for a new hood and head lining as at the moment the car may aswell not have a roof on at all unless the collender look is in this season. Any Ideas where the best place to get a new roof from and do they come with hinges/brackets/mechanism etc?

The second bit of help I need is with the engine. Do I keep it original or go for a conversion? I like the idea of keeping it true to the car and relatively standard although there is that wee guy sat on my shoulder telling me speed i matters! Has anyone got any thoughts on what the best way to faff with the 1.8 8v? Have got a spare set of bike carbs kicking about that my find there way on the engine via a new intake manifold.

I'm not totally against a C20LET engine but they are becoming a bit cliche these days, plus they seem to be holding their money at the moment. A C25XE engine has also passed through my train of thought recently. As I understand there are only a couple of Mk2's with v6’s in so the rarity of that is appealing. And I thought that maybe a supercharged v6 would make it an original conversion for the Mk2, especially in a convertible. So as you can see am finding it hard to make a decision on what to do. Most of my friends arn’t really a big fan of the car itself (blasphemers i know) so arn’t really being a big help, but i figure seen as all of you on Mk2cav.com are enthusiasts and fans of the car you will have some advice and opinions which I can use to make my Mk2 appeal to the people that really appreciate the car.

Thanks for reading and for any help etc you can give regarding the roof, engine ideas etc.

Rog

  • 4 weeks later...

Theres car hoodz near me, did some work on there workshop a while ago and saw what they can do and was impresed . they travel the country doing insurance work. might be worth trying them for a quote aswell ?.

i used carhood warehouse, but it was a few years ago. dont know if still around. best advice save up and have it fitted, can be done diy as mark s will confirm, but it is involved, time consuming and not that easy. welcome aboard anyway. :)

  • Author

yeah, carhoods.com are still going, it's £335 for hood and £145 for headliner. total comes to £700 with fitting. getting it sent up to me and they have recommended a company nearer me that can fit it. pricey i guess but fed up of getting a wet head!

Will post some pics when new roof is on and she isn't looking so sad!

Hi,

Can you tell me please please please, what/where and how etc the Leather interior came from. Looking to do the same on one of mine. Any info greatly loved and cherished.

Ta.  Russ.

hi i  have  got complete mk2 convertible runner for spares  [ body i.e arches suspension mounts] rotten. it had new roof ,  white headlining,tonnau cover and seat bolster re covered for £700 by DAVE HADEN UPOLSTRY Lichfield Road, walsall wood brownhills.

another contact you may know is PETER HUTCHINSON of COVENTRY main hammond and thiede converted cavalier part supplier

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.