Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MK2CAV.COM

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

South African 1984 Opel Ascona 1.8 Gls 5speed Hatchback

Featured Replies

So in February I bought a 1984 Opel Ascona 1.8 Gls 5speed Hatchback 

For a super bargin

Car needs some work but overall it looks not to bad. 

There is some cosmetics needing fixing but I like it as it is don't intent on spraying it.  So I started breaking it but I've stopped in the middle of it and having another idea to fix it instead of braking it cause body is solid. 

 

Please let me know what your thoughts are. Save it, break it and scrap it. 

 

So faults on the car 

I sold master cylinder 

Rear brakes needs attention 

Need a master cylinder or just swap the brake servo and master cylinder all together. 

Will need new wheels 

Cluster isn't working 

Door handles 

Engine is finished  my thought is just to fit a fuel injection engine 20seh or even a 18se doesn't matter. 

I test fitted a Kadett E (astra mk2) brake servo and master cylinder to it just need some adapters for the brake lines then the master cylinder might work. 

 

I fitted my spare highlights to it 

Astra mk2 left mirror 

I fitted rear disc from astra mk3 but I purposely fitted the right side to the left to see if it would work 😂yes I know I'm insane. 

 

 

IMG_20230222_141444.jpg

IMG_20230901_085450.jpg

IMG_20230901_085443.jpg

IMG_20230901_085428.jpg

IMG_20230901_085420.jpg

received_224475410279758.jpeg

received_265036366441118.jpeg

received_977976460097256.jpeg

received_7247824165247561.jpeg

received_690137779200822.jpeg

received_272591862293091.jpeg

received_869576061186887.jpeg

  • Author

Forgot to mention that the suspension would also do with a complete  refresh. 

The idea I have is to is to 

18se engine 

Rear disc conversion astra mk2 

280mm meriva front discs 

15 inch Opel rims perhaps cav gsi slabs 👀 or something like that will have to see 

Digital cluster 

 

IMG20230912115747.jpg

IMG20230912115740.jpg

IMG20230911131253.jpg

IMG20230911131247.jpg

IMG20230815115008.jpg

  • Author

So on the 22nd September I got the car on wheels again after standing on blocks for a good few weeks car almost fell off the blocks🤦. Hopefully if I can get the brake line adaptors I can fit the astra mk2 rear disc setup and bleed the brakes and see what happens after that.

IMG20230923095209_BURST001_COVER.jpg

IMG20230923095203.jpg

IMG20230923095153.jpg

IMG20230923095129.jpg

IMG20230923095140.jpg

What is the car like underneath ? Being a car from South Africa i would think it will be very good with perhaps a little surface rust as unlike the UK you  dont you have the rain we have and they probably dont cover the roads with salt like we do here during the winter. 

  • CLUB MEMBER

Bit of TLC and you are sorted....looks like a good project

Current mk2 stock: 3 LXs: white c20xe, blue & red std, blue LX parts car, blue GLi, & monaro VXR

Renault 5e daily (french go kart)

  • Author

Hi there again guys so I've taken pictures of underneath isn't the best pics but will try to take better ones today. 

 

I'm going to leave the dents I think it gives the car some character. 

 

Will paint the underneath black just to keep it from rusting.

For now need to source some wheels don't really want to leave it on my Rover wheels 

 

IMG20231002182955.jpg

IMG20231002182934.jpg

IMG20231002182919.jpg

  • 2 weeks later...
  • CLUB MEMBER

Doesn't look too bad underneath......get the worst of any rust off, treat it then paint would be my advice

Current mk2 stock: 3 LXs: white c20xe, blue & red std, blue LX parts car, blue GLi, & monaro VXR

Renault 5e daily (french go kart)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.