Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MK2CAV.COM

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (ā‹®) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

1985 Opel Ascona 1.8 Gls 5speed

Featured Replies

Hi there guysĀ 

I am Curtley Prince from South AfricašŸ‡æšŸ‡¦šŸ‡æšŸ‡¦ I've owned my 1985 Opel Ascona 1.8 Gls 5speed Hatchback for the last 4 years.Ā 

Through the years the car has seen many repairs or should I say tasteful upgrades.Ā 

Bought the car with 13 inchĀ  steel wheels.Ā 

Processed to buy whiteĀ  14 inch tear drops.

Drove the car for few monthsĀ 

Battery gave inĀ 

Replaced batteryĀ 

Fuel pump gave inĀ 

Replaced itĀ 

Then the carburatorĀ 

Replaced it with KEIHIN KS2 popular conversion in South Africa (citi golf carburator)Ā 

Got a counterfeit pan cake K&N filterĀ 

Cylinder two on the head didn't have any sparkĀ 

Got head reconditionedĀ 

Accelerator cable brokeĀ 

Used a mk1 golf accelerator cableĀ 

I thought the carburator was faulty because the settings wasn't properĀ Ā Near the end of 2020 the head gasket went unbeknownst to me.Ā 

Replaced the fuel pump againĀ 

Unfortunately didn't solve the issueĀ 

In April 2021Ā 

The head gasket was doneĀ 

Carburator was reconditionedĀ 

In May 2021 I replaced the front brake padsĀ 

In August 2021Ā 

The right rear wheel cylinder burstĀ 

Which caused the wheel to lockĀ 

Left the car like thatĀ 

In 2022 JanuaryĀ  I proceed to fit the astra mk2 rear disc setup

Drove the car like that for better part of a yearĀ  without handbrakeĀ 

In August 2022 I imported left mirror from UKĀ 

Cause they are extremely rare in South AfricaĀ 

in October 2022Ā 

I had the tear drops reconditioned

I got Lcd digital cluster fittedĀ 

Ignition wire burned for a second time.Ā 

November 2022

I fitted the cheapestĀ  HID kitsĀ  I could find.Ā 

Demeber 2022Ā 

I fitted 256mm front discs with FN52/24 calipersĀ 

January 2023Ā 

I fitted astra mk5 rear disc setupĀ 

After bleeding the brakes the brake master cylinder gave inĀ 

Huge fluid leak into the brake boosterĀ 

I was lucky to find a suitable replacement apparently the escort mk3 and opel ascona uses the same brake master cylinder.Ā 

Ā 

00f99cc196794a4ebe88ccf280d470b3.jpg

received_3336637149997314.jpeg

IMG-20221213-WA0046.jpg

57ba2716ca03431bb148baa28eaf7315.jpg

IMG-20221213-WA0045.jpg

FB_IMG_1623441604114.jpg

FB_IMG_1623441609492.jpg

FB_IMG_1623441598408.jpg

IMG_20210616_132413.jpg

IMG_20210616_132400.jpg

IMG_20210531_103602.jpg

IMG_20210531_103604.jpg

IMG_20210323_105802.jpg

IMG-20201215-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20201215-WA0009.jpg

FB_IMG_1624646974550.jpg

FB_IMG_1624646967352.jpg

IMG-20221118-WA0018.jpg

  • CLUB MEMBER

Awesome.....welcome to the site

Current mk2 stock: 3 LXs: white c20xe, blue & red std, blue LX parts car, blue GLi, & monaro VXR

Renault 5e daily (french go kart)

Welcome to the site, that looks like a nice car is it sound underneath, The problems you have had remind me of my days of ownership with of several Triumph Dolomite Sprints few years ago.

  • 4 weeks later...
  • Author

Hi there everyone so I bought a mid spec snowplough still look looking for left side. If anyone has one please let me know if you are willing to send it to South Africa.Ā 

Ā 

IMG_20230207_144654.jpg

IMG_20230208_071404.jpg

IMG_20230208_071409.jpg

IMG_20230208_071557.jpg

  • 7 months later...
  • Author

Haven't done much to this one yet in the last few months. I've only done repairs.

Fuel pumpĀ 

Leaking fuel pipesĀ 

Brakes felt very spongy but think I'm use to it now.

Digital cluster isn't working stuck at 0km/HĀ 

Still need to sort out the handbrake cable.

Ā 

IMG20230929104523.jpg

IMG20230925101127.jpg

  • 1 month later...
  • Author

Hi there just a cheeky little update on my Ascona haven't been able to work on the car with the new baby she demands all my time.

Ā 

Unfortunately not the good kind of updatešŸ‘ŽĀ 

I've found an oil leak that I've yet to determine the sourceĀ 

Engine is covered in oilĀ 

However found out where one oil leak is coming from near the oil pump. The rest is still a mystery.

Also found that the radiator is leaking seems like I will be needing one sooner than I thought šŸ¤”

Yes I've two fuel filters on so that the carburettor doesn't flood.

I am using a fuel separator and a universal electric fuel pump.

So the list continue on what still needs fixing šŸ˜•ā¬‡ļø

°Handbrake doesn't work so need to get custom cables or use astra mk5  cables.

°Digital cluster sort out it's bugs 

°Temperate gauge isn't working cause it's not connected. Engine bay side. Will need new temp switch.

°Brakes isn't how I imagine it should be will see if I can find a different brake servo perhaps it's my servo. My problem is that brakes engage rather low and not as high as I thought it would be.

°Drivers seat is falling apart need new seat foam.

° The car has a hard start that I can figure out when you go to start it for the first time morning/afternoon/night doesn't matter it swings like the battery is completely flat then afterwards it would start 

Don't know if it's the starter or if there is a connection problem somewhere.Ā 

°I've yet to fit my lowering springs a bit afraid of taking the struts out šŸ˜‚ haven't removed struts before on a car that I driveĀ 

Only on the spare cars but will grow a pair and tackle that job when I get there.

Also on the hunt for some other rims I've grown tired of the teardrops now.

I'm torn on my engine choice to replace my 1800 carburettor

C20xeĀ 

20sehĀ 

X20xevĀ 

Z32se V6Ā 

C20xe is the ultimate choice but it's getting ridiculous these days.

V6 is one of the engines I really want but they weren't really available in South Africa šŸ‡æšŸ‡¦.only available in rwd omega b 2.6 y26se

So parts are very scares and only imported engines are available here.

X20xev is a engine I'd settle for very underratedĀ 

20seh if I can get one I will take it I won't be fussy.

I've too many ideas and never stick to one.

I've recently done this brakeĀ  upgrade but now I want to go 5 stud 🤦 yes you've guessed correctly turbo wheels šŸ‘€ā˜ŗļø

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

IMG20231114125618.jpg

  • 5 months later...
  • Author

So brief update on my ascona since I've posted lastĀ 

In December 2023 bloke that cutting my grass accidentally broke my left rear quarter vent windowĀ 

After a nightmare trying to find the glass I finally managed to find the glass

Still busy installing it.Ā 

Ā 

Got the digital cluster to work somehow by itselfĀ 

Ā 

Car won't start now suspect it's the ignition switchĀ 

Ā 

Radiator leak got worse luckily managed to source a new one still need to get a brand new expansion tank and radiator hoses.Ā 

Ā 

Sourced astra mk4 handbrake cable hopefully it works šŸ¤žšŸ¤ž

Ā 

Theres a oil leak I can't track down 🤷

Don't know after 39 years if the engine is finally finished.Ā 

Ā 

  • 9 months later...
  • Author

2025Ā 

Ā 

Here's what I've done so farĀ 

Chrome exterior handlesĀ 

Chrome interior handles senatorĀ 

Senator glovebox buttonĀ 

Commodore chrome door locksĀ 

Still need to swap over the lock pinsĀ 

Ā 

Hopefully getting centre caps for the rimsĀ 

Ā 

Rear right door handle has to be repairedĀ 

Ā 

Ā 

I've few parts that needs to be fittedĀ 

Brand new radiator (aftermarket)Ā 

Brand new coolant bottle(aftermarket)Ā 

Rear left quarter ventĀ 

Astra mk4 handbrake cableĀ 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

IMG-20250203-WA0035.jpg

IMG-20250126-WA0056.jpg

IMG-20250126-WA0057.jpg

IMG-20250126-WA0058.jpg

IMG-20250122-WA0041.jpg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.