January 10, 20233 yr comment_224163 Hi there guys I am Curtley Prince from South Africa🇿🇦🇿🇦 I've owned my 1985 Opel Ascona 1.8 Gls 5speed Hatchback for the last 4 years. Through the years the car has seen many repairs or should I say tasteful upgrades. Bought the car with 13 inch steel wheels. Processed to buy white 14 inch tear drops. Drove the car for few months Battery gave in Replaced battery Fuel pump gave in Replaced it Then the carburator Replaced it with KEIHIN KS2 popular conversion in South Africa (citi golf carburator) Got a counterfeit pan cake K&N filter Cylinder two on the head didn't have any spark Got head reconditioned Accelerator cable broke Used a mk1 golf accelerator cable I thought the carburator was faulty because the settings wasn't proper Near the end of 2020 the head gasket went unbeknownst to me. Replaced the fuel pump again Unfortunately didn't solve the issue In April 2021 The head gasket was done Carburator was reconditioned In May 2021 I replaced the front brake pads In August 2021 The right rear wheel cylinder burst Which caused the wheel to lock Left the car like that In 2022 January I proceed to fit the astra mk2 rear disc setup Drove the car like that for better part of a year without handbrake In August 2022 I imported left mirror from UK Cause they are extremely rare in South Africa in October 2022 I had the tear drops reconditioned I got Lcd digital cluster fitted Ignition wire burned for a second time. November 2022 I fitted the cheapest HID kits I could find. Demeber 2022 I fitted 256mm front discs with FN52/24 calipers January 2023 I fitted astra mk5 rear disc setup After bleeding the brakes the brake master cylinder gave in Huge fluid leak into the brake booster I was lucky to find a suitable replacement apparently the escort mk3 and opel ascona uses the same brake master cylinder. Report
January 10, 20233 yr CLUB MEMBER comment_224170 Awesome.....welcome to the site Current mk2 stock: 3 LXs: white c20xe, blue & red std, blue LX parts car, blue GLi, & monaro VXR Renault 5e daily (french go kart) Report
January 10, 20233 yr comment_224176 Welcome to the site, that looks like a nice car is it sound underneath, The problems you have had remind me of my days of ownership with of several Triumph Dolomite Sprints few years ago. Report
January 11, 20233 yr Author comment_224189 Thank you everyone for the warm welcomes much appreciated. 🙏 Report
February 8, 20233 yr Author comment_224257 Hi there everyone so I bought a mid spec snowplough still look looking for left side. If anyone has one please let me know if you are willing to send it to South Africa. Report
October 3, 20233 yr Author comment_224745 Haven't done much to this one yet in the last few months. I've only done repairs. Fuel pump Leaking fuel pipes Brakes felt very spongy but think I'm use to it now. Digital cluster isn't working stuck at 0km/H Still need to sort out the handbrake cable. Report
November 7, 20232 yr comment_224774 That's a good list of stuff you have ticked off, what's next on the list to do? Report
November 14, 20232 yr Author comment_224785 Hi there just a cheeky little update on my Ascona haven't been able to work on the car with the new baby she demands all my time. Unfortunately not the good kind of update👎 I've found an oil leak that I've yet to determine the source Engine is covered in oil However found out where one oil leak is coming from near the oil pump. The rest is still a mystery. Also found that the radiator is leaking seems like I will be needing one sooner than I thought 🤔 Yes I've two fuel filters on so that the carburettor doesn't flood. I am using a fuel separator and a universal electric fuel pump. So the list continue on what still needs fixing 😕⬇️ °Handbrake doesn't work so need to get custom cables or use astra mk5 cables. °Digital cluster sort out it's bugs °Temperate gauge isn't working cause it's not connected. Engine bay side. Will need new temp switch. °Brakes isn't how I imagine it should be will see if I can find a different brake servo perhaps it's my servo. My problem is that brakes engage rather low and not as high as I thought it would be. °Drivers seat is falling apart need new seat foam. ° The car has a hard start that I can figure out when you go to start it for the first time morning/afternoon/night doesn't matter it swings like the battery is completely flat then afterwards it would start Don't know if it's the starter or if there is a connection problem somewhere. °I've yet to fit my lowering springs a bit afraid of taking the struts out 😂 haven't removed struts before on a car that I drive Only on the spare cars but will grow a pair and tackle that job when I get there. Also on the hunt for some other rims I've grown tired of the teardrops now. I'm torn on my engine choice to replace my 1800 carburettor C20xe 20seh X20xev Z32se V6 C20xe is the ultimate choice but it's getting ridiculous these days. V6 is one of the engines I really want but they weren't really available in South Africa 🇿🇦.only available in rwd omega b 2.6 y26se So parts are very scares and only imported engines are available here. X20xev is a engine I'd settle for very underrated 20seh if I can get one I will take it I won't be fussy. I've too many ideas and never stick to one. I've recently done this brake upgrade but now I want to go 5 stud 🤦 yes you've guessed correctly turbo wheels 👀☺️ Report
April 23, 20242 yr Author comment_225190 So brief update on my ascona since I've posted last In December 2023 bloke that cutting my grass accidentally broke my left rear quarter vent window After a nightmare trying to find the glass I finally managed to find the glass Still busy installing it. Got the digital cluster to work somehow by itself Car won't start now suspect it's the ignition switch Radiator leak got worse luckily managed to source a new one still need to get a brand new expansion tank and radiator hoses. Sourced astra mk4 handbrake cable hopefully it works 🤞🤞 Theres a oil leak I can't track down 🤷 Don't know after 39 years if the engine is finally finished. Report
February 15, 20251 yr Author comment_225759 2025 Here's what I've done so far Chrome exterior handles Chrome interior handles senator Senator glovebox button Commodore chrome door locks Still need to swap over the lock pins Hopefully getting centre caps for the rims Rear right door handle has to be repaired I've few parts that needs to be fitted Brand new radiator (aftermarket) Brand new coolant bottle(aftermarket) Rear left quarter vent Astra mk4 handbrake cable Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.