December 18, 20178 yr comment_216436 I can't manage to start a new thread in the members project section hopefully a moderator or admin can move this post.... Ok so iv allways been an old school Vauxhall fan a huge fan of the nova's and iv had Astra GTE 16v more recently along with vectra mk3 cavalier and many more, if owned mk2 cavaliers before but iv never bought one specifically as a project car and that' exactly what this is, so to start we drove from Scotland down to Liverpool to collect the car Report
December 18, 20178 yr Author comment_216437 And dragged the poor thing all the way home in the snow and wind and rain, and it spent it's first night outside in 18 years as it has been laid up in the garage since 99/2000, it's currently sat on the drive under a quilted cover and waterproof tarpaulin underneath untill I can get it in the new garage when we move, in January ..... hopefully, for the time being it's sat here Edited December 18, 20178 yr by Tony Autoweld Plaskett Report
December 18, 20178 yr Author comment_216438 I'm not a fan of the 1.6L poverty spec trim so the first job was to source a nice interior trim, through the Facebook page Dave (with beige the turbo mk2) tagged me in a for sale post and I took a trip from Scotland down to Newcastle for a set of immaculate lxi front seats, I normally wouldn' have bought just fronts but I knew from previous discussion that Gav (with the absolutely mint cavaliet commander) had a set of hatch rears i could buy and try to make fit and a set of doorcards to match the lxi fronts, so away we went for the seats.....what a difference they made, I am going to get a dark carpet set for it and either buy a black dash and all interior plastics or else paint them (properly not woth an aerosol) Report
December 18, 20178 yr Author comment_216439 I' also not a great fan of the old 1600 big block 8v carb engine, so back In the car and off we went....north west Scotland this time and went to meet Gav and his commander and his absolute wealth of knowledge and mass of parts all mk2 cav stuff, I ended up coming home with engine and body parts and grills and steering wheels and interior parts and a whole host of other stuff, but most importantly I got myself an 20xe conversion with loom ecu and lots of other things Edited December 18, 20178 yr by Tony Autoweld Plaskett Report
December 19, 20178 yr comment_216447 great start! so sorry, I tipped a set of LXi door cards from a black F plate saloon , bought to replace my "chopped for kurb light" pockets, lesson learned keep everything, will find a home one day...... Report
December 23, 20178 yr comment_216466 cant go wrong with a cav with an XE, and agree on the LX interior, really nice seats Report
December 23, 20178 yr Author comment_216467 On 19/12/2017 at 20:43, vxcalibre said: great start! so sorry, I tipped a set of LXi door cards from a black F plate saloon , bought to replace my "chopped for kurb light" pockets, lesson learned keep everything, will find a home one day...... Nooooooooo wayyyyyyyyyyyy.... neer mind mate as you say we have learned to keep everything now eh, 1 hour ago, Paul said: cant go wrong with a cav with an XE, and agree on the LX interior, really nice seats Cheers dude I'm hoping it turns out to be a good one Report
January 1, 20188 yr Author comment_216504 Soooooo no more photos but we do have some progress, on boxing day I said to the better half after 1 or 9 beers "I bet that old cav will run with a battery and a drop of fresh petrol"....when they all stopped laughing I decided (me being the man of the house and all) that it would run with a battery and a drop of fuel if it killed me Lol, so i went and got a gallon of petrol and sat it in the inner wing and just stuck the rubber hose from the suck side of the cam driven petrol pump Into the fuel can, and I stole the battery off her 307 cabriolet and turned the key, I had almost flattened the battery and I'd flooded it and cleaned the plugs twice when it finally coughed and splattered into life, and it was only on half choke and while pumping the throttle like a madman that it would tick over (in fashion), anyway I'd won it had started so I could rest now hahahaha, next day I decided to rip the varajet carb to bits and it was absolutely full of ****, but I persevered and built it back up airbox back on etc and I turned the key and it was running sweet within 1 revolution on the starter, I honesty cannot believe just how sweet it Is, absolutely as crisp as you like no tapping no knocking just absolutely sweet as a little Swiss watch, so that' it we know she runs now the next thing is to inspect the fuel tank and see if we can make it run using it' own tank, then once that's done I will reline all the brakes check the lights and get her in for an MOT....... but i am one happy puppy i cannot believe how well it runs and I now know 100% that this is going to be 1 cavalier that has been saved from the scrap yard in the sky, happy New year guys regards Tony Report
January 2, 20188 yr CLUB MEMBER comment_216508 Nice one Tony Current mk2 stock: 3 LXs: white c20xe, blue & red std, blue LX parts car, blue GLi, & monaro VXR Renault 5e daily (french go kart) Report
October 1, 20197 yr comment_219461 I now own this cavalier. It’s now got momo arrows. LCD dash. I should have all the 88 lxi external parts this weekend. I have a red top. Need to take tank out and repair leak and fit a swirl pot. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.