August 19, 20179 yr comment_215667 That,s looking good everyone on the site likes to follow a project. When it is completed buy a ten or fifteen litres of Waxoyl and pump generous amounts into the box sections and underneath. Report
November 3, 20178 yr Author comment_216223 Hello, some rust has been replaced with metal again. Now, I have a bit of a problem aswell. Maybe someone can be of help here. I need these rear axle parts. I can only get left one from parts store, right hand side is no longer available. Where to look? Report
November 6, 20178 yr CLUB MEMBER comment_216226 I believe that I got mine (non genuine) from here https://www.atp-autoteile.de/de or maybe here http://www.opel-classicparts.de/ Long time ago when I bought chassis legs for the white one Current mk2 stock: 3 LXs: white c20xe, blue & red std, blue LX parts car, blue GLi, & monaro VXR Renault 5e daily (french go kart) Report
November 19, 20178 yr comment_216330 On 18.8.2017 at 13:59, otipoiss said: Could anything be read from it's VIN? Late, but not to late, i hope: W0L0JF690J6021414-74 L W0L - Manufacturer opel/vauxhall 0JF69 - Opel / J-Car platform notchback 4-door basemodel 0 - ??? J - Modelyear 1988 (from 09.1987-07.188) 6 - manufacturer factory Antwerpen 021414 - Production number 74 - ??? L - Left hand drive 80V1781 0JF69 357 80V1781 - Modelyear 1988, following order number 0JF69 - Opel / J-Car platform notchback 4-door basemodel 357 - Upholstery Rallye Twill - grey (includes: dashboardcolor: anthrazit carpet fleece dark grey or velours dark grey inside plastic colors: grey 10 NS 86 AU3 A01 BS2 10 - Color E474 Casablanca white NS – Country??? I dont now, from where came the car? Sweden? 86 - Opel / J-Car platform notchback 4-door basemodel AU3 - 4-door central locking A01 - Tinted glass an windscreen shadeband BS2 - Isolation package 2 CE3 CF4 DK2 DK3 CE3 - Headlamp wash/wipe CF4 - Sliding/tiltable glass sunroof DK2 - Electrically adjustable and heated door mirrors left side DK3 - Electrically adjustable and heated door mirrors right side F59 LE4 MG4 N51 T39 T5X U68 F59 - Stabilizer rear axle LE4 - C20NE Engine (because T5X) MG4 - 5-speed cr transmission N51 - no power steering T39 - additional blinkers T5X - controlled catalyst U68 - Seven function trip computer XJ5 XQ4 XJ5 - ??? XQ4 - Irmscher equipment Report
December 27, 20178 yr Author comment_216475 Thank you for the information 242! Unfortunately not much developments have taken place with my car. I cant get my hands on the right hand side longitudinal rear chassis leg (or whatever its called). Left one could be ordered still i think, but I asked the shops that Greg linked here for the right hand side - not available. Im still thinking which way to go, the left hand side part on my car could be saved i think, its definately better than the one on the right, but if im supposed to build the right hand side from scratch on my own, then theres not much point on spending any money for the other side. Report
January 2, 20188 yr CLUB MEMBER comment_216507 Try messaging users on here. I think a dutch place user name (or similar) M&M dronten and Opel Classic parts Greece. Current mk2 stock: 3 LXs: white c20xe, blue & red std, blue LX parts car, blue GLi, & monaro VXR Renault 5e daily (french go kart) Report
February 25, 20188 yr Author comment_216790 Slowly stiching it up. At the moment the work has stopped due to too cold weather (-25c). Report
February 26, 20188 yr CLUB MEMBER comment_216794 Nice inner arch. Did you manage to source some inner chassis legs? Current mk2 stock: 3 LXs: white c20xe, blue & red std, blue LX parts car, blue GLi, & monaro VXR Renault 5e daily (french go kart) Report
February 28, 20188 yr Author comment_216816 Unfortunately no, I'm just going to try and reproduce those myself aswell. I hope i will manage, thicker sheetmetal is tougher to form. Report
March 1, 20188 yr comment_216821 good to see its being saved and not scrapped, will be an interesting project to follow as you go along Report
March 23, 20188 yr Author comment_216920 I was told that Opel Vectra (MK3 Cavalier) shares its whole underside with MK2, so I should have been looking for those bits aswell. Right now I don't even care, seems more interesting to try and reproduce the longitudinal members myself. Some pictures too, winter is giving up slowly. I have managed to source a set of Irmscher wheels for this car. I've wanted these for a long time now and they were an absolute steal. Unfortunately i dont have centercaps, but hoping to find those aswell. Report
March 24, 20188 yr comment_216928 The Cavalier/Vectra A shares their underbody with the Astra F. The Cavalier/Ascona C are different. Report
March 25, 20188 yr Author comment_216935 Ah at least that wont be buggering me anymore. Time for some 3D CAD templates again. (Loving this expression by the Legends at Bad Obsession Motorsport) Report
March 26, 20188 yr CLUB MEMBER comment_216944 Love it......keep up the good work. Current mk2 stock: 3 LXs: white c20xe, blue & red std, blue LX parts car, blue GLi, & monaro VXR Renault 5e daily (french go kart) Report
April 5, 20188 yr CLUB MEMBER comment_217049 15 hours ago, otipoiss said: That is special......excellent.....I guess you have left off the axle pivot to align that with another piece of fabrication work onto this? Do you have the other side to line it up with? We did these one at a time on my LX to keep the axle as straight as possible (by keeping 1 reference point on the car). Also my dad made a spacer for it to allow fitment without using a heavy axle to check. Current mk2 stock: 3 LXs: white c20xe, blue & red std, blue LX parts car, blue GLi, & monaro VXR Renault 5e daily (french go kart) Report
April 20, 20188 yr Author comment_217205 Top layer welded on. Effectively it is pretty much the same as the one under it, which was shown on previous pictures, just a tiny bit larger in every measure. Other side needs same treatment, but axle pivot for this side needs to be done first. I don't think I'll ever be able to get these 100% correct and true... Report
May 29, 20188 yr CLUB MEMBER comment_217395 Nice welding job, how did you get the right height for the axle pivots (I see a spacer, but did you just measure the distance to the floor to make sure its level?) I only ask, as time goes buy and the chassis legs disappear from existence, this will become the new norm. Current mk2 stock: 3 LXs: white c20xe, blue & red std, blue LX parts car, blue GLi, & monaro VXR Renault 5e daily (french go kart) Report
May 30, 20188 yr Author comment_217404 It probably isn't 100% , thats just something i will have to live with. I just hope that the difference will be hard to notice. Final adjustment to rear axle will most likely require large hammers and violence. 😀 Report
May 31, 20188 yr CLUB MEMBER comment_217405 17 hours ago, otipoiss said: Final adjustment to rear axle will most likely require large hammers and violence. 😀 Lol. The only worry is squareness to the road surface. As you say fingers crossed its ok. Have you tried your doors back in yet? I left mine in to assist with rigidity and keep shape when putting in the new 1/4s, chassis legs and sills etc. Current mk2 stock: 3 LXs: white c20xe, blue & red std, blue LX parts car, blue GLi, & monaro VXR Renault 5e daily (french go kart) Report
June 3, 20188 yr Author comment_217415 I have indeed. The doors were in when i marked sideskirt holes on the sills. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.