June 6, 200917 yr comment_107978 Hello everyone, I've just joined as I have just bought one of these fine steeds for the second time in my life! I'm the proud new owner of a 1984 Cavalier 1.6L Saloon originally in Silver Green Metallic, I say originally because some nutter has brush painted it some horrid insipid shade of a snottery kind of green, but it bears the paint code for that colour and it is everywhere on the engine bay and boot area, but never mind as I intend to respray it later in the year back to it's original colour, it is however remarkably rust free with just a couple of small holes at the bottom of the rear inner arches, the rest of it appears to be solid and has done what would appear to be a genuine 30000 miles, it feels inkeeping with this mileage anyway, the interior however has suffered a lot of sun damage, cracked dash, seats with powdery foam inside them and lots of fading, even the rear view mirror is extremely brittle and wouldn't take much handling to crumble to dust in your hands. I don't mind saying the car is a bit of a project/rolling restoration, but I know I've got the skills to put it back together and make it a really nice car again. I've always loved MK2 Cavaliers, it goes back to when they were new, my dad had a MK1 Astra as a company car around 1985, and would always get this MK2 Cavalier GL as a loan car, I used to love it when he got this car, it was nicer than the Astra! I didn't get one of my own though until 2001 when I bought a last of the line 1988 2.0 SRi in Steel Grey, another car I adored, it was fast, comfy Recaro seats but sadly the battle against the onset of rust was a losing one and I sold it, I couldn't bear to scrap it! So I just got the notion again to have another and so here I'am! I own a few other classics as well so I'm no stranger to other forums relating to them, I've just finished respraying and partially restoring (didn't need much!) my 1973 Morris Marina Coupe and it looks marvellous now! Report
June 7, 200917 yr comment_107985 Welcome aboard mate.Don't let top gear know about the marina eh!! Report
September 5, 200917 yr Author comment_115853 Hello again! I thought maybe I'd post a wee update on NBF's progress, I've done 3000 miles in her since purchase in June and I'm still lovin it! I got a replacement dash from Matt which I've still to fit, and got a pair of replacement sills as they're a little holey but not bad. The MOT is out at the end of the month and that is when the work is going to begin, I'm going to get some special vinyl paint made for me to try and restore the faded interior plastics (except the dash of course,which is being changed out, although the replacement is going to get vinyl painted as well in the original dark green!), but at least I've proven the car is a good goer even if does look tatty, I've even surprised a few people on the road with it, it's quicker than it looks! I'm going to start putting pictures up on a new thread when the work starts just to let you all see what I'm up to and how she's coming, I actually intend to go to a couple of scottish classic car shows with the Cavalier as an exhibit, I usually go with my Marina, but I might leave that at home a couple of times next summer and show the Cavalier instead! I'm looking for a saloon car boot lid now as the original has lost it's bond with it's stiffener panel, although it's not rusty. Report
September 5, 200917 yr comment_115855 Good luck with the resto. might bump into you at one of the Scottish shows in the future Report
September 5, 200917 yr comment_115858 I got a replacement dash from Matt which I've still to fit, I'm looking for a saloon car boot lid nowJust clicked which Cav this is now PM sent regarding a saloon boot lid pal Report
September 5, 200917 yr comment_115859 glad to see ome more for the project board . best of luck !! Report
September 5, 200917 yr comment_115861 Yeah! Too true, I hate that knob, Clarkson! bit harsh that mate clarkson is one of my heros tbh ;D very funny bloke and says things everyone else wants 2 LOL ;D ;D ;D Report
September 5, 200917 yr comment_115867 Clarkson is funny. He does take the piss quite a lot but who cares. It's all banter. Report
September 5, 200917 yr comment_115888 bit harsh that mate clarkson is one of my heros tbh ;D very funny bloke and says things everyone else wants 2 LOL ;D ;D ;DSpot on Mark ;D Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.