Everything posted by Andy Davies
-
VBOA 2026 SIGN UP
Andy Davies + wife with Ascona, two man tent camping 1 night Saturday & Sunday.
- VBOA 2026
-
VBOA 2025
I can't manage it this year a wedding on that Saturday unfortunately & I'd already booked really retro on the Sunday.
-
End of an era
It might be a good idea to can it this year and re-format in another location. It all depends on how other events dilute (or not) the scene. Vauxfest is criticised for being in an odd part of the country, vaux-all seems to be gathering momentum so does the GM Reunion although only one day it looked to be a big success last year with calls for it to be expanded into a two day event. If vboa go ahead and cancel now this year the other venues will likley mop up.
-
End of an era
I honestly think they'll run with this for one year and see how the numbers go. If it bombs it'll move yet again! The tramping between sites, no drinking, no doubt queues to get in & out every day & night will be a disaster and totally unworkable.
-
Vauxhall Cavalier 1982 1.6 SR Hatch
Exhausts are getting hard to find especially ctr section. If you're keeping it just get one made. If they are hard now, likley in 5 years plus time they'll be unobtainable completely. inbound583008036805766596.mp4
-
Got it's face on now.
Everything is made from scratch, thought I'd replied to this 🤦🏻♂️ He's an extremely good fabricator, pipes, boxes, flexis, tail pipes both in stainless & polished are all stocked. He then asks you exactly what you want, pipe diameter, how many boxes, tailpipe angle, length & size. How noisy or quiet you want it then set about making a bespoke system to your own requirements. I wanted something that wasn't too loud, but deep & still allowed that 16sh 'gm rasp' that's exactly what I got.
-
Got it's face on now.
Been a while but onwards we march! A major leap this week with a stainless exhaust made & fitted. First time I've actually heard the rebuilt 16sh over the manifold racket.
-
Got it's face on now.
Not a problem, thanks for trying 🙂
-
Got it's face on now.
Hi John, are they new ones? I need a grille anyway so likely gonna have to order 🤦🏻♂️
-
Got it's face on now.
Starting to get a good idea what the sr will look like, going to dig deep and buy some new bumper brackets and a grille from cope. Comes under "Ascona sport grille" 2 or 3 look the same to me apart from a small blank! 🤷🏻♂️
-
Sort of new user!
- Sort of new user!
I've got loads mate probably 100 plus right back to the beginning they are just all over the place on various sticks etc.- Sort of new user!
Hi all, starting to dig around in here again now I'm finally managing to commit to the Ascona properly this year! It really has been one problem after another with it over time, from odd sized mechanical parts, difficult to obtain panels, paint problems or rather him snapping his back mid way through! Courier companies damaging new parts the list went on. Hey ho, restoration from the ground up never runs smoothly as you'll likley all know even with smaller projects but it's coming now. So where are we as of now? Well it runs, I need a stainless making up for it before spring, tyres to order, seats & carpets in and a few other bits but it's 75% there now. All the suspension & steering components were blasted & painted, everything replaced where necessary, all new piping fuel & brake, engine completely rebuilt, crank re-grind, new pistons, rings & shells, head skimmed, valves sorted, new seals. Basically it's a 0 miles engine at the moment. Finally got it back from paint, I wasn't happy with a few bits so they were rectified, found a better used bonnet (no2), paint was such a decent standard it showed every ripple, they weren't happy with it, neither was I so off again it was, found a new bonnet (no3) that was right! 😮💨 It was last on the road November 94 so this year is it's 30th year, that's what made it a must really to get it sorted. It was only on the road 12! I'm in touch with the army medic who brought it over from Germany in 1985, he's aware it still survives and wants to come see it when done, so I've got some details from new and with who/how it got to be over here. Rear screen is being bonded in this morning, so off I go for another box ticked!- Ascona 1600 sr hatch
I'll see if I still have the drawing and measurements if they are any good to you? Took ages to draw one up.- Ascona 1600 sr hatch
Yes originals were like a bag of crisps, literally swept them up. Took measurements and a drawing to a fabrication shop and they made them up.- Ascona 1600 sr hatch
Oh got ya now 😂- Ascona 1600 sr hatch
Which one's yours?- Ascona 1600 sr hatch
- Ascona 1600 sr hatch
Thanks yeah been a lurker for a couple of years.- Ascona 1600 sr hatch
- Ascona 1600 sr hatch
Not really been in here much so far! Anyways a few of you will know my car off other groups. We are doing a june 82 ascona sr hatch, 16sh carb car. Been on quite a journey it has really including being off the road since 1994. So on the road 12 years, off it coming up to 27. I've had it 3 years (I think) Stripped it and made the decision to do it right from the bottom up. Many original panels been sourced, no mean feat as a lot of you know, had to have some made from scratch like the inner sills. A lot of thought gone into improvement mods in problem areas to make sure it doesn't do it again - bulkhead, clutch pedal area, a post splits the list goes on. Well it's getting there now so what will it end up looking like? Carnelian and anthracite again as original, sand highland check but a bit of an oddball from the factory having black seatbelts, ctr console, window winders, lock buttons, sill trims but with sand door trims and a brown dash. Very early cars in opel format were like this apparently. Standard wheels, front mid spec spoiler, hella fogs, and some nos opel mudflaps. It's still got it's original steering wheel, opel badged seatbelts (inc rear) and headlamp wash. The thing will stand me at a fortune done, but is there another? Not in the uk that we know of. received_155207402278138.mp4 received_324516725498199.mp4 - Sort of new user!