January 4, 20242 yr comment_224917 Hi all, starting to dig around in here again now I'm finally managing to commit to the Ascona properly this year! It really has been one problem after another with it over time, from odd sized mechanical parts, difficult to obtain panels, paint problems or rather him snapping his back mid way through! Courier companies damaging new parts the list went on. Hey ho, restoration from the ground up never runs smoothly as you'll likley all know even with smaller projects but it's coming now. So where are we as of now? Well it runs, I need a stainless making up for it before spring, tyres to order, seats & carpets in and a few other bits but it's 75% there now. All the suspension & steering components were blasted & painted, everything replaced where necessary, all new piping fuel & brake, engine completely rebuilt, crank re-grind, new pistons, rings & shells, head skimmed, valves sorted, new seals. Basically it's a 0 miles engine at the moment. Finally got it back from paint, I wasn't happy with a few bits so they were rectified, found a better used bonnet (no2), paint was such a decent standard it showed every ripple, they weren't happy with it, neither was I so off again it was, found a new bonnet (no3) that was right! 😮💨 It was last on the road November 94 so this year is it's 30th year, that's what made it a must really to get it sorted. It was only on the road 12! I'm in touch with the army medic who brought it over from Germany in 1985, he's aware it still survives and wants to come see it when done, so I've got some details from new and with who/how it got to be over here. Rear screen is being bonded in this morning, so off I go for another box ticked! Report
January 4, 20242 yr CLUB MEMBER comment_224921 Hello Andy, we need pictures......more pictures 😆 Current mk2 stock: 3 LXs: white c20xe, blue & red std, blue LX parts car, blue GLi, & monaro VXR Renault 5e daily (french go kart) Report
January 4, 20242 yr Author comment_224922 11 minutes ago, Greg said: Hello Andy, we need pictures......more pictures 😆 I've got loads mate probably 100 plus right back to the beginning they are just all over the place on various sticks etc. Report
January 10, 20242 yr CLUB MEMBER comment_224954 This is excellent...... 🤤 Current mk2 stock: 3 LXs: white c20xe, blue & red std, blue LX parts car, blue GLi, & monaro VXR Renault 5e daily (french go kart) Report
January 10, 20242 yr comment_224957 The early ones are always the best, bodyshells always look cook on a spit Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.