Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MK2CAV.COM

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Brazilian 1988 Chevrolet Monza

Featured Replies

Hello folks,  it's such a pleasure to get in touch with all of the J-car's lovers worldwide! This is my baby. Some of you might have already seen it,  a 1988 Chevrolet Monza which I've been keeping for 6 years. At the beginning,  it was an absolutely stripped car. Along this years,  I've made some enhancements such as Air conditioning,  power steering,  locks and windows,  digital dashboard,  Ascona's rear lights set ( Andy has helped me a lot). All home made :) . 

It's carburated and, despite being an old system,  it's fairly simple to fix compared to the Efi and Mpfi. You might not believe it, but this two systems came along in the early 90's!  Many years later than the rest of the world.  Yet,  the Mpfi came out in an analog version which the vast majority of mechanics refuse to even touch it.  The EFI is rather simple too, nevertheless it does not represent great enhancement compared to the very late carburetor. Besides,  its ignition is switched by the Hey Module,  which is the hell of many of late monza drivers. It's so common to get out-of-order,  that many folks are used to carrying a spare Hey module in the trunk just in case it fails.  This late monzas are called "shark monzas",  they're those ones that look like an Opel Carlton  which I particularly don't like very much. Among the monzas,  I'd rather stick to the early spec.  Beautiful,  reliable, comfortable and easy to keep. 

Well, as it's my first time here,  I don't know whether I've posted in the right section. I'll get the hang of browsing on your beautiful and new website.  

 

DSC_0004.JPG

DSC_0051.JPG

  • CLUB MEMBER

Thanks Gabriel! I'm sure we can find a way for you to honorarily put your car in the garage properly, given you are too far away to actually attend a meeting!

So I have a question.. what components did you use for the air conditioning system? Was it original Monza parts, or did you use 3rd party system?

I ask because my Monza has compressor and condensor still inthe engine bay, but nothing else!!

might try and bring a Chevrolet grille back with me from my next adventure!

Nice car Gabriel!

  • Author

Hey Andy !! My ac also uses the original compressor, but has many parts from other cars . As I told you it would be very hard to fit an original system into my car due to structural differences between monzas originally equipped and not equipped with AC. You can see all the pictures and details on this topic : http://www.forum.monzeiros.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=25596 I guess you'll be able to understand it using google translator . I have the original ac unit , I'm not sure if it's good. 

 Brett I can help . It`ll be a pleasure ! I can try to find other parts for you guys too !:)

Edited by Gabriel Cavalcante

  • Author

Thank you, actually  I had no idea of how an AC works before. It took me a long time to figure it out. It's rather simple but very tiring. The AC is still working pretty fine,  after these years. :)

Edited by Gabriel Cavalcante

  • CLUB MEMBER

Nice looking motor Gabriel......keep the updates coming

Current mk2 stock: 3 LXs: white c20xe, blue & red std, blue LX parts car, blue GLi, & monaro VXR

Renault 5e daily (french go kart)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.