Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MK2CAV.COM

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

MK2 Estate Owner

Featured Replies

  • Author

If it is just the head gasket thats gone thats quite easy to replace. Do you really need to touch all the valves etc?

You tell me! I don't have X-Ray vision but there are (since fitting a new rocker cover gasket) at least two according to the garage who service it, at least one I can see, oil leaks onto the exterior of the block where it get hots and smelly. The point is that while the head is off, it makes sense to do any reasonable work to stop the oil leaks and any pre-emptive work to avoid having to get in there again in the foreseeable future.

Hi Estateman. I'm in Reading just down the road from you (14 Chiltern Road near shops) I don't mind taking a look if you are still having any troubles with the car. I'm normally working on my Cavalier or Belmont on saturdays, so feel free to pop up if you like, I also work at Reading College so have access to all of the motor vehicle workshops and equipment

  • Author

Hi Estateman. I'm in Reading just down the road from you (14 Chiltern Road near shops) I don't mind taking a look if you are still having any troubles with the car. I'm normally working on my Cavalier or Belmont on saturdays, so feel free to pop up if you like, I also work at Reading College so have access to all of the motor vehicle workshops and equipment

Much appreciated. However, it is in good hands. The head was taken of yesterday and the work required is minimal. The valve guide seals and the oil pump seals need replacement (cam seal OK) and a new water pump will be fitted as a pre-emptive move. The valves will be ground in and a new cam belt and head gasket (kit) fitted (don't yet know if skim required) and it should be back with me by the end of the week.

Good to hear that Reading College still has such a department. My wife worked at The Henley College for many years, retiring last year, and they closed theirs down several years ago.

  • Author

It's all sorted and now back on the road for not much more than the cost, quoted by the garage, of taking and engine out and putting it back after refurbishing.

There was little sign of pitting on the valves.

I have a question:

The mechanic said to me, after some dicussion about my experience of the mixture always being slightly rich and slowly sooting the plugs, " You can adjust that, you have the book". Well, the book, the Hayes Manual, is all about engine speed and vacuum readings. Not having a vacuum gauge, I'm a bit stuck. All I need to know is which way to turn the adjuster. Advice, please.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.