Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MK2CAV.COM

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

GreyDJ2

VBOA REP
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by GreyDJ2

  1. I see that is your first post here Darren so welcome to our site. Do you run a Mk2 Cavalier? You have obviously been to Billing, did you come on our stand there and you mention "our club" which one is that?
  2. I am holding back at the moment to try to understand wtf is going on. At the meeting on Sunday the two alternatives I mentioned above were given to us and we voted to adopt the second but the vote was close so it was agreed to allow reps to consult with their clubs and not to put info on it on social media, just club sites One club, Cavalier and Chevette, has thrown a spanner into the works by circulating an attack on one of the options to an old email list (I didn't get it Andy did) and I don't know why they have done it. I am waiting for clarification from VBOA before I put more up here.
  3. Thanks Chris. The Chinese whispers were correct but out of date. Billing approached us roughly a year ago. How things can change in a year! VBOA had an exchange on the lessons of this year with LMF in which LMF did not make any friends. Further progress seemed to have stalled. I suspect that LMF had noticed the following. Overnight pre-bookings were about 350 in 2017 then 250 in 2018. There is a view that it was only the fantastic weather that saved the show this year. At least one club bailed out this year and a couple more were going to do the same next year if we had stayed in MH. Factor in the risk of wet weather and 2019 could have been a disaster. LMF has done a sterling job but in the final analysis it is just a large field, almost in the middle of nowhere.
  4. Thanks Paul. No haven't been recently but as I mentioned in answer to Chris's comments the site has changed with much more hard standing sites. All the car shows are now down the turn left after you get onsite. Straight ahead, where VxON and multi Astra sites were is now gone. Where we get our stand is in the lap of the gods but I will try to get us the same location but it is highly likely to be smaller.
  5. VBOA approached Billing not the other way round. There is no clout to be applied, there are new owners and we and other car clubs are having to fit in with their new policy on car shows. This will be a multi year agreement, from memory 3 plus 2. There are two options one of which means that VBOA can run the show much as before but we have to advance purchase the whole site which has administrative and financial implications. The site available, which incidently is a smaller space than before, as all the area the 'other side' of the river has gone to other uses.
  6. If there had been any chance that the vote would have been close I might have consulted members but £3500 was potentially (I emphasize potentially, not wanting to say that they wouldn't pay) at risk if LMF got any inkling of what was up. I wasn't going to get that pinned on me if it went tits up so I exercised my judgement. Anyone else want the role?
  7. No, if the simple option is selected (same booking pricing etc as before but radically different show) then the show should still be OK without early booking but camping will be very messy. If the new admin option is selected (new advanced payment with the Clubs on the hook as per their pre-ordered spaces) as the majority of reps voted, I think we will get enough bookings for it to fly OK. This is a multi year contract, we never had one of those before! The current VBOA committee is quite different to the old one and there are some really active new clubs around.
  8. There was a meeting in September at which considerable dissatisfaction at MH was expressed, not by me I might add as I would have gone back, it was decided to check out the alternatives for next year. A sub committee then checked out MH/another site in Suffolk/Billing. For reasons of commercial confidence, LMF hadn't at that stage paid us the money they owed VBOA for this year's event, we were told not to tell anyone. In confidence I told Andy. So this morning after discussion on the sites and particularly on LMF's response (it stunned me) which virtually treated us as if we had no alternative, we had two votes, where (I went with the majority) and then as Billing won, which option.
  9. Many Clubs had very serious reservations about MH and going back could have fractured VBOA. Also LMF were very offhand as to what they would do to improve things. THe vote split 7 MH and 16 Billing with i abstention. Next years will be a bit more compact as significant development has taken place there. I have now started a thread for comments after I tell you more.
  10. Billing have given us two options as to how we, as VBOA, organise the event. They can be summed up as a low input, similar (but not the same) with Billing taking the money as before or a VBOA organised event (similar to the way Land Rover did it) when we pay up front, do much more organising with potentially attractive financial benefits to both the VBOA and our Club. VBOA have made it clear that they want the of members of the affiliated clubs to have an input. I will need to have our decision at the start of November. This post will grow as I put what happened this morning into writing.
  11. Decision made this morning, VBOA going back to Billing for the weekend of the 6/7 July. The format will be different and I will be asking for views on the options this week. There are significant organisational changes. I will outline the options later and have now put up a thread specifically for that. One thing is whatever happens you will have to decide and pay months in advance if you want to camp in our group. The option to do it a few weeks in advance is no more.
  12. GreyDJ2 replied to Jon's topic in NEW USERS
    Sounds good to me, give them my phone number 07769 938946 and I'm John and I'm in Giffard Park. I have 4 handles that I am cleaning up that you could have as many of as you want either whole or just the ends, either way £2 each.
  13. GreyDJ2 replied to Jon's topic in NEW USERS
    I thought I might have a couple of the bits you needed but as I started hunting round I found more. So, from your list I have: - a new grill but with some minor storage scratches £20 - a good hatch wiper switch £10 - set of new brake flexi hoses, do you want all 4 or just the fronts? £10 each - with the winder rubbers is that the slightly squidgy round bit at the end or the whole arm? - bonnet release cable and integrated handle. £15 Can put up photos if needed. Assume Paypal payment and delivery (extra) to UK. Anything else
  14. GreyDJ2 replied to Jon's topic in NEW USERS
    The colour is Aquamarine Blue and was used on the SR/SRi from their introductions until Autumn 1983 when the SRi was revised and got red stripe bumpers and the close ratio F16 gearbox. At that time the metallic blue was changed to Helios Blue till it ceased production in 1988. Not sure when the rear wiper changed over but I think it was in 1982. Where was yours made? The VIN number should break down as WOL0000 then probably 86 or 87 (Cav hatch), then C for 1982 or D 1983, then 5 or 6 Antwerp or V for Luton, then sequential vehicle number
  15. GreyDJ2 replied to Jon's topic in NEW USERS
    Plastic pipe and a jamjar are great when there is someone to push the brake pedal, the kits are intended for one person operation. There are two types of kit here. The £6 one that puts a one way valve on the pipe into the jamjar (but they sell you a plastic bottle) which is OK but you can't see when the bubbles stop or the colour changes. The other £20 one puts air pressure into the system using the spare tyre as an air reservoir and is brilliant as you just open the nipple and out comes the fluid. It comes with an inline reservoir for fluid but I use mine straight onto the master cylinder reservoir and keep checking not to empty it. Prices approx.
  16. GreyDJ2 replied to Jon's topic in NEW USERS
    Welcome to our site. Put a list up and see what happens! I had an 83 SRi same colour as that so fond memories. A couple of SR around but that colour as a SRi is very very rare here now. That seat has had a hard life What's the mileage?
  17. GreyDJ2 replied to rob 18's topic in NEW USERS
    I'll get the camera out in the morning,
  18. GreyDJ2 replied to rob 18's topic in NEW USERS
    Could have the parcel shelf. Where are you?
  19. Brilliant stuff mate. You may have noticed that apart from rare exceptions most of us in the Club are really function over form people. Loved it! (Comment moved from other thread as not the right place.)
  20. Great pictures but something is wrong with your camera. The grass is far, far too green.
  21. We shall see Good to see you too.
  22. Good to meet you Ian. Thought you might skip the bottom of the M1 given those signs. John
  23. If he's in a Cav then that means there is a good chance the CavBar will be trailing him. No other Club has anything like it.
  24. Send a PM to Andy
  25. Brilliant, I'm just the VBOA man around here. Look forward to seeing you Sunday. John

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.